Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
London
I transferred to iCloud but its of no use to me, how can I transfer my mail back to mobile me?

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
London
I don't understand icloud, everything on my iphone is on my ipad is on my laptop.

What is the advantage of this cloud or is it some money making ploy once we all have to pay to use it?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't understand icloud, everything on my iphone is on my ipad is on my laptop.

What is the advantage of this cloud or is it some money making ploy once we all have to pay to use it?

MobileMe was $99 per year.

iCloud is free.

Seems better to me. What, exactly, don't you like about it? It's still mail, contacts, and calendars. It feels pretty similar to MobileMe as far as I can tell.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
There is one thing I really wish iCloud would keep: iDisk. Aside from mail, contacts and calendars, that was THE most useful feature of MobileMe, and it's going away with it.

Documents in the Cloud just isn't the same thing. Oh I can save my iWork files in the cloud? Great. But what about MS Office files, application data, XML files, camera raw images, the web development projects I need to transfer from system to system, and all the other "big boy" computing stuff that keeps me using a desktop and laptop?

I'll have to switch to dropbox in June, and I'm planning on it, but I wish I didn't have to. It's not QUITE as good as iDisk has been. And while iCloud is free, I'm still paying $99 a year to keep functionality I need, it's just going to some other company that might not be quite as stable financially as Apple is.

Other than that, iCloud I've found quite useful.

To the OP: best thing to do is to list all of the things you don't like about iCloud and all the things you wish it still had from MobileMe, and e-mail Tim Cook about it. I did. Apple needs to hear feedback from people who were paying customers of Mobile Me, and might still pay for those features we've grown used to if they're made available as a premium add-on or something.

Last edited:

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.
There is one thing I really wish iCloud would keep: iDisk. Aside from mail, contacts and calendars, that was THE most useful feature of MobileMe, and it's going away with it.

Documents in the Cloud just isn't the same thing. Oh I can save my iWork files in the cloud? Great. But what about MS Office files, application data, XML files, camera raw images, the web development projects I need to transfer from system to system, and all the other "big boy" computing stuff that keeps me using a desktop and laptop?

I'll have to switch to dropbox in June, and I'm planning on it, but I wish I didn't have to. It's not QUITE as good as iDisk has been. And while iCloud is free, I'm still paying $99 a year to keep functionality I need, it's just going to some other company that might not be quite as stable financially as Apple is.

Other than that, iCloud I've found quite useful.

To the OP: best thing to do is to list all of the things you don't like about iCloud and all the things you wish it still had from MobileMe, and e-mail Tim Cook about it. I did. Apple needs to hear feedback from people who were paying customers of Mobile Me, and might still pay for those features we've grown used to if they're made available as a premium add-on or something.

Basically my feelings as well, iDisk was quite handy for me, but oh well guess I'll just stick to dropbox for the time being. Overall I'm happy with iCloud though, and the price compared to MobileMe is excellent

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'll have to switch to dropbox in June, and I'm planning on it, but I wish I didn't have to. It's not QUITE as good as iDisk has been.

Wow, really? In what way?

I ask because I really don't know what you liked. I think Dropbox is really awesome and tell everyone to get it. By contrast I thought iDisk sucked big time and used to tell people "You should get MobileMe...well, the downside is you get iDisk but you don't HAVE to use it."

Dropbox just works whereas iDisk always used to take 5 - 10 minutes to copy even the smallest of files. And my experience covers many years, many different Macs, and multiple OSes. It never seemed to ever get better.

You're saying it worked well for you?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Wow, really? In what way?

I ask because I really don't know what you liked. I think Dropbox is really awesome and tell everyone to get it. By contrast I thought iDisk sucked big time and used to tell people "You should get MobileMe...well, the downside is you get iDisk but you don't HAVE to use it."

Dropbox just works whereas iDisk always used to take 5 - 10 minutes to copy even the smallest of files. And my experience covers many years, many different Macs, and multiple OSes. It never seemed to ever get better.

You're saying it worked well for you?
Worked well for me too.

But since the iCloud transition and Apple pushing us away.

I've converted over to Dropbox and GMail and perfectly happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.