Going from a 6+ to an X in a few weeks. Best way to backup/restore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lifetimechaldo, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Lifetimechaldo macrumors member

Hello everyone!

Once in a while a see a few posts here about the pros and cons of backing up/restoring a new phone with a previous icloud backup. Is there a consensus on what the best way to do this is?

Does it make a difference if you restore over WiFi instead of with iTunes?

Which way gives the new phone a fresh set up iOS to run with?

Is there a difference if i don't restore at all and just start over fresh? This would be a pain in the butt, but if it makes a difference i might do it.

When i got my 6+, i just did the icloud restore using WiFi and it seemed fine, but after having the same backup on my phone for like 7 years idk if it would be better to start over.

Thanks!

2. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

i've had my iPhone 6 since launch. i periodically did a backup to iTunes from time to time. for the X, i simply did an encrypted backup of my iPhone 6 and then restored that backup onto my iPhone X so it can basically be like i never skipped a beat. everything was there just like i had including all my settings i've set. works great.

i think the fresh device/clean install is user preference. i prefer for it to be like it was before. so a restore from backup is what i did.

also, mine was through my MacBook Pro @ home.

3. THFourteen macrumors 6502a

THFourteen

I upgraded from a 6s non plus

Just did a backup to icloud the night before and then restored when my new phone arrived. Old phone was on 11.0.3 and new one was upgraded to 11.1 before restore.

no real issues, i had to log onto a few apps like Spotify again as it lost some settings.

4. USC_Gamecock macrumors 6502

USC_Gamecock

I did it using iCloud for the first time this year for my transition to the iPX. It was seamless. I recommend iCloud.

5. peterknopp macrumors newbie

peterknopp

IOS 11 has a feature that activates when you set up a new phone and ask you to put old phone nearby - then it syncs and for a while after all your apps wireless download. Worked a treat for me and my ex phone was backed up to icloud and not itunes

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/automatic-setup-ios-11/

6. TruBleu macrumors regular

I have read so many posts about restoring from backup leading to slowing down the device and all sorts of problems. But personally I have faced zero issues and I've been backing up and restoring for many years... And I have been participating in all the betas. So, I would say... Go ahead and do a backup and restore.

See...The thing is, if you did a backup and restore and then you feel that your device has gone sluggish or whatever, you can always erase all and start from scratch.

It's ultimately your choice whether you want to retain those precious texts from years ago or just start afresh. I wouldn't let go of them, when I have not seen any performance degradation due to restoring.