Going from a rig with 7200 drive, will the 5400 side of a Fusion drive annoy me?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Whackintosh, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Whackintosh

I realize the fusion would be much, much faster for my commonly used applications and the OS, but when it comes to larger video files etc, how big a drop in speed would I be noticing, coming from a 2009 iMac with a 7200 rpm drive?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's more to drive performance than just rotation speed. Many 5400 rpm drives outperform many 7200 rpm drives, due to higher density.

3. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Whackintosh

Interesting! Thanks! Have you had a chance to contrast the speed difference (with large files) between a 7200-equiped iMac and an FD one?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends on the specific drives you're comparing. What is the capacity of the 7200 drive you have?

5. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Whackintosh

No idea, really. It would be whatever Seagate was standard in the 2009 1st gen iMacs.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can easily find the capacity of any drive on your system. Select the drive in Finder and Command-I or right-click and Get Info.

7. leman macrumors 604

Are we talking about watching video files or editing video files?

P.S. For editing large videos, I recommend an external disk - this is the only way to get good, consistent performance!

8. lali macrumors regular

well the 7200rpm in my 2007 imac felt faster than the 5,400 rpm that is in the 2012 21" imac

I suggest you visit an Aplle store and try one for yourself before buying

9. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Whackintosh

Oh - you just meant the capacity in terms of storage space? It's a 1TB drive.

----------

I'm talking watching / burning to disc etc. For editing, I'll use an external for sure.

10. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    If you're talking a fusion drive, you're not comparing apples to apples between 5400 and 7200 rpm drives. The ssd will make most operations seem more like an all ssd rig. There are bound to be exceptions, but my experience with our new 21" 1tb fd drive is that it runs very much like my ssd mba.