Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThinkGeek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Jakrta, Java, Indonesia
I have an anySIM unlocked 1.1.1. I want to go to 1.1.4 and unlock it to use it with my carrier here in Indonesia. How do I do a complete total restore (as in going into the Emergency Call screen, phone is not yet activated screen)? Can I just click Restore in iTunes? Oh, also, will it work if after "re-locking" and "revirginizing" my phone, I upgrade to 1.1.4 and use ZiPhone method to unlock it? Thanks.

Andrew

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
sorry i can't help you, but i am in the same situation... i really want to know!

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
you would connect your phone and choose to restore to 1.1.4 (NOT update but restore)

once you restore to 1.1.4 your phone will not recognize the foreign sim. Simply run the ziphone 2.5 and in two to three minutes your phone will be unlocked running 1.1.4

I did this from 1.1.3 yesterday. Hope that helps

ThinkGeek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Jakrta, Java, Indonesia
Thanks seedster. BTW, by restoring, do you mean holding option and then restore then selecting the 1.1.4 firmware.... OR.... just clicking Restore (and then iTunes will erase and restore the iPhone plus update it to 1.1.4)?

I'm really afraid of getting an :apple:iBrick thanks.

furby

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
Thanks seedster. BTW, by restoring, do you mean holding option and then restore then selecting the 1.1.4 firmware.... OR.... just clicking Restore (and then iTunes will erase and restore the iPhone plus update it to 1.1.4)?

I'm really afraid of getting an :apple:iBrick thanks.

Just click Restore in iTunes, it will erase and upgrade your iphone.

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Just hook your phone to iTunes and click restore.

I too had a 1.1.1 unlocked with anysim and 3.9BL.

Do a sync before you do the restore. I would also uninstall any apps like summerboard etc.

Then simply restore.

After you have a phone with the new firmware and the activation screen.

Hook it up again to your computer and start ZiPhone. no need to DFU the phone or anything and don't worry about iTunes being on either. Simply open ZiPhone and select the do it all option and in 4 mins your phone will be ready.

Then restore your settings in iTunes, it will load all your old text messages, phone settings, stocks and weather options you may have had etc etc

I would then install the BSD subsystem via installer and if in an unsupported country, then install the App Support for 1.1.4.

Then a sync will re-load all your music, safari bookmarks and so on.

Simple!

Then start installing your favourite apps....

dance

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2006
What about re-adding 3rd party applications? Is that something you have to do manually after a restore?

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
ZiPhone is for Mac as well!

What about re-adding 3rd party applications? Is that something you have to do manually after a restore?

Yes, you will manually have to install your favourite apps again, but that's no big issue, will take a few minutes...Most of the apps re now 1.1.4 compatible including summerboard.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006

YES. The Restore wipes out everything on the phone, you have to add it back in again.

lachs99

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2007
Some other experiences going from 1.1.1 to 1.1.4

Had a lot problems too, because iTunes came up with error all the time not being able to restore firmware 1.1.4. (started with an unlocked 1.1.1) After even destroying the firmware (like it seemed to me after my computer crashed and the iphone flashed and was tryin to start up again over and over again) I was able to "restore" the restore mode of the iphone by pressing top and home button for about 10 sec until the apple sign come up again, releasing the home button and keeping top button pressed until the restore mode screen comes up (cable with itunes sign). I tried to restore 1.1.3 and 1.1.4, nothing worked even after updating itunes. Then I found out that the problem was that my SIM card was PIN locked. After removing the SIM locked, restoring to 1.1.4 was no problem. Ran Ziphone afterwards (Do it all) first run was no sucess but worked the second time - boom, there it was unlocked 1.1.4.

Some other notes of interest:
- SMS, mails, contacts, favourites, pics etc. sill there, but all 3rd apps were gone (as expected)
- all settings were still available (like clock/timer setting etc)

wilksjosh

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
I just purchased an unlocked 1.1.1 . Not sure of baseband though. I wanted to know the best way for me to get the newest updates and still allow for third party apps.

I read a post that said I needed to virginize my phone, then either restore or upgrade ( not sure the difference- maybe thats my problem) to 1.1.4 . Then use ziphone to unlock etc.

Also have read that I can simply restore? using itunes manually choosing firmware then unlock/jailbreak. Can anyone please clear all of this up?:confused:

wilksjosh

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
1 more thing

see above

also does it matter if I dont know what was used to unlock my phone ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.