going from pc to mac, but can my games come with me?

geco8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
3
0
I am planning on getting new mac mini because i am just feed up with windows and it's crappyness. I use my computer mostly for gaming so i have many pc versions of games such as halo: combat evolved, ut2004, ut2003, counter-strike, tron 2.0, doom 3, and so on.

I know already that counter-strike is not mac compatable, but everything else has a mac version. What i want to know is if i can use my pc versions of the games or if i have to go out and buy new copies of them all.
 

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
936
1
Sorry to break the news to you, but you'll have to buy new versions of everything you just listed... I think you should keep your pc for games and your new mac for everything else ^_^
 

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
2,381
31
You need to buy new games...

Also, you should edit the title of the thread... I was almost about to type "Once You Go Mac you Never Go Back... so why would anyone WANT to??"...

Thread title is right now: Going From Mac to PC, but can my games come with me?
 

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
543
291
Adelaide, Australia
a Mini would struggle with those games. If you want a Mac for gaming (especially if you want Doom III to work at a decent frame rate), unfotuantly you have to buy the Powermac. Just get the Mini and still have your PC. Get a keyboard mouse and monitor switch thingo so you can use the same kb m and monitor...
 

geco8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
3
0
wow, that is a good sugestion, i'll keep it in mind :)

thanks
 

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
4,713
18
Russia
You can also wait a few weeks for the iMac G5 updates and if the new generation will have 128 MB VRAM, then you can sell your PC and buy iMac :)
 

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
1,494
0
Oxford/London
Buy a mac, and say goodbye to gaming.
Although some do it well, it's not what they do best.
My tip - buy an xbox and be happy! :)
Trust me - you won't miss it eventually
 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
7,091
404
geco8 said:
I am planning on getting new mac mini because i am just feed up with windows and it's crappyness. I use my computer mostly for gaming so i have many pc versions of games such as halo: combat evolved, ut2004, ut2003, counter-strike, tron 2.0, doom 3, and so on.

I know already that counter-strike is not mac compatable, but everything else has a mac version. What i want to know is if i can use my pc versions of the games or if i have to go out and buy new copies of them all.
If the rumored iMac happens, a $1299 iMac should be able to run all of those games well.

In fact, the current iMac and its Geforce FX 5200 Ultra should be JUST enough for those, although not especially powerful.

Either way, wait a month, so that you can get Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger free when you buy the Mac (be it Mini or iMac) :)
 

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
7,583
489
Melenkurion Skyweir
Dude. Think on this a bit. What video card does the Mac mini have? That's right, the Radeon 9200. ANd it's even worse than the PC version; it has 32 MB of VRAM. That, my friend, cannot run Doom 3. Not even on the PC can that card run Doom 3. So rethink a tiny bit. I suggest you keep the PC for gaming, because that Mac mini isn't going to do well at all for games.
 

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
803
0
Keep your PC for gaming. That's a lot of money to re-spend on games you already own. Your mac mini won't be able to run the big guys like Doom 3. But I do recomend picking up Call of Duty or Age of Empires II for the mini if you don't have the PC versions. Or you could get the PowerMac...

P.S.
Glad you are switching to mac.
:D
 

Anarchy99

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
858
752
CA
you can do what most mac switchers do about games use there legit serials on pirated copies of the mac version i dont care for piracy but it is what most consider a grey area cause you own a copy you bought and you get nothing new by pirating it just it runs on a differnt kind of computwer
 

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
10,091
21
UK
UT cd keys work on both the mac and pc versions, i'm not sure of the legality but you will be able to play online.
 

AppleinJapan

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2005
132
0
geco8 said:
I am planning on getting new mac mini because i am just feed up with windows and it's crappyness. I use my computer mostly for gaming so i have many pc versions of games such as halo: combat evolved, ut2004, ut2003, counter-strike, tron 2.0, doom 3, and so on.

I know already that counter-strike is not mac compatable, but everything else has a mac version. What i want to know is if i can use my pc versions of the games or if i have to go out and buy new copies of them all.
Ive used Macs for about 10 years plus now and most other people that I know use PCs (because of games)...So do what I do !

I have two Macs (ibook G4 and an old Imac - soon to be replaced), that I use for web surfing, 3D graphics, video etc etc.......and I have a PS2 and an X-box (both second-hand). I play games on the consoles and do the serious stuff on my two Macs. I not a rich man so I buy second hand consoles and games - it beats having to buy a PC

:D
 

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
1,992
126
Burlington, VT
AppleinJapan said:
Ive used Macs for about 10 years plus now and most other people that I know use PCs (because of games)...So do what I do !

I have two Macs (ibook G4 and an old Imac - soon to be replaced), that I use for web surfing, 3D graphics, video etc etc.......and I have a PS2 and an X-box (both second-hand). I play games on the consoles and do the serious stuff on my two Macs. I not a rich man so I buy second hand consoles and games - it beats having to buy a PC

:D
Your idea does work for some people, including me. I have my Mac for my computer needs and I have my Xbox and PSP for all my gaming needs. But the Xbox and PS2 don't have the same feel as when you play say Half Life or Counterstrike sitting at a computer screen. The mouse is much more sensitive to the slightest movement then the analog sticks on the console controllers. Since it sounds like the original poster has been playing games on his PC for a long time, it is hard to adjust to playing those types of games on the the Xbox or PS2.
 

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
10,091
21
UK
get a KMV swtich and a ps2 to xbox controller port converter for your xbox and plug it into the KMV switch with a xbox-vga lead and plug your keyboard and mouse into the KMV switch.

problem solved.
 

WhiteSavage

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2004
151
0
Here.
James Philp said:
Buy a mac, and say goodbye to gaming.
Although some do it well, it's not what they do best.
My tip - buy an xbox and be happy! :)
Trust me - you won't miss it eventually

Umm... You ARE in a Mac Gaming forum... you realize that right>?
"Say goodbye to gaming"... dont spread that crap! Its not true and this forum, other forums like macologist.com macgamer.com insidemacgames.com macfpsgames.com etc are growing bigtime, have you noticed the #'s of registered users lately? Macs are getting more popular, and so is Mac gaming. So we dont need guys coming and saying "Mac Gamer" is an oxymoron.

Sorry, not trying to flame or anything.
I'm just another Mac Zealot.

-Poof!
 

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
1,229
0
New York
Just use you pc for strictly gaming. That way you don't end up with tons of pop ups and system crashes. Use your mac for everything else.
 

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
1,494
0
Oxford/London
WhiteSavage said:
Umm... You ARE in a Mac Gaming forum... you realize that right>?
"Say goodbye to gaming"... dont spread that crap! Its not true and this forum, other forums like macologist.com macgamer.com insidemacgames.com macfpsgames.com etc are growing bigtime, have you noticed the #'s of registered users lately? Macs are getting more popular, and so is Mac gaming. So we dont need guys coming and saying "Mac Gamer" is an oxymoron.

Sorry, not trying to flame or anything.
I'm just another Mac Zealot.

-Poof!
Can't say I have noticed the numbers going up, as I don't play games on my Macs!
There are much cheaper ways to play games than an PowerMac G5 (cheaper and quicker)
Please don't tell me you bought a Mac for gaming?
The only way to justify a G5:
Need for lots of video/audio/photoshop work.
Will use it for the next 5 years at least, and want it for the expansion.
For half the price you can get a PC that plays games a lot better, and for a 1/20 th of the price you can get a Xbox, and then subscibe to Xbox Live!

I love the Xbox, it takes ALL the frustration out of gaming - not continually worrying about what resolution to use, what options to turn on/off etc etc. I just shove the game it, let it start up and play, and ENJOY :D :D

And it also gives you no reason not to buy a Mac :p
 

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
803
0
None of us buy our macs just for gaming. But honestly, what's the harm in playing games on the mac?

As for me, I play CoD: United Offensive and C&C Generals on my mac and I play Halo 2 on my Xbox. I do games on both my iBook and Xbox (though I only play Halo 2 on my xbox, nothing else :p )
 

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
5,032
886
Canada
James Philp said:
Buy a mac, and say goodbye to gaming.
Although some do it well, it's not what they do best.
My tip - buy an xbox and be happy! :)
Trust me - you won't miss it eventually
Forget the Xbox, get a GameCube (or at least a PS2, but not an Xbox!).
 

joshjohnson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
63
4
James Philp said:
Can't say I have noticed the numbers going up, as I don't play games on my Macs!
There are much cheaper ways to play games than an PowerMac G5 (cheaper and quicker)
Please don't tell me you bought a Mac for gaming?
The only way to justify a G5:
Need for lots of video/audio/photoshop work.
Will use it for the next 5 years at least, and want it for the expansion.
For half the price you can get a PC that plays games a lot better, and for a 1/20 th of the price you can get a Xbox, and then subscibe to Xbox Live!

I love the Xbox, it takes ALL the frustration out of gaming - not continually worrying about what resolution to use, what options to turn on/off etc etc. I just shove the game it, let it start up and play, and ENJOY :D :D

And it also gives you no reason not to buy a Mac :p
frankly, one of the reasons I switched was because I didn't want to have to deal with windows anymore, AT ALL, not for games, not for anything, but perhaps landfill... I play UT 2004 and Halo on my iBook G4 800MHz! if my iBook can run those, a mac mini with a stronger cpu (remember 1st gen ibook g4 had half the L2 cache of the current models.)can sure run those 2. I remember in a glenda adams interview, she said 1 reason Doom 3 runs so slow on Power Macs was because of the heavy optimization they did for the iMac G5, if it didnt work on the current iMac, it wasn't ready for release because without the iMac, people wouldn't buy it. the benchmarks are abysmal, but every reviewer has said that Doom 3 is very playable on an iMac G5 1.8
 

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
1,494
0
Oxford/London
Yvan256 said:
Forget the Xbox, get a GameCube (or at least a PS2, but not an Xbox!).
Ouch! I hope you're not serious!
The GC has been a huge flop (try re-selling it!) and the PS2 is so old!
Have you ever played the "same" game over different platforms? I have, my freind who owns a PS2 has, and a friend that has a GC has, and we all agree that the Xbox is by far the superior machine.
You stick with the PS2 if you want, I don't really care, but the Xbox kicks ass!
 

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
803
0
omg!

Yvan256 said:
Forget the Xbox, get a GameCube (or at least a PS2, but not an Xbox!).
What's wrong with the Xbox? Xbox=Halo 2. Halo 2! Halo 2 multiplayer is a good enough reason alone to get an Xbox. Of course that's just my opinion, but still...Halo 2 MP!