Going from PC to the cloud

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jabingla2810, Jan 28, 2012.

1. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Before I begin, I'd like to say that I consider myself to be very capable when it comes to using computers.

I have always 'synced' with iTunes. But ever since iOS 5.0 I have used the cloud to back up all my devices and keep them all in sync.

It's worked perfectly for months. My iPhone and Mac have not seen each other since.

Today, I wanted to add a new ringtone to my iPhone, something that still has to be done on a PC or Mac. So I created this new ringtone, highlighted my iPhone's tab on the left of iTunes, selected sync all ringtones and hit sync.

What happened from this point on has been the most confusing hours of my life.

Itunes, began making copies of all the apps I have installed since I plugged my phone in, fair enough I thought. Kind of makes sense.

It then removed all these new apps from my device and proceeded to stick loads of old apps in their place.

This happened in a completely random way, I can only assume somebody at Apple has spun around 15 times and pointed at the first 30 apps they could see.

I then realised, that it was not only syncing my ringtones, but it was syncing everything, music, video, books, etc.

I cancelled the sync, itself a slow and awkward task. When I lightbulb came on in my head. I unchecked sync apps, sync music, sync video etc, because I now use the cloud I don't need to deal with my PC anymore, what with iTunes match out now.

After unchecking all these options, I hit sync and was ready to experience my phone in all its PC free glory. Not quite yet iTunes informed me...

"Not syncing all your stuff will delete it all from your device, do you want to continue?"

Wait? What? I want to go to the cloud, I don't want to sync with you anymore.... I don't want you to delete all my apps either... I like having my apps and settings how they are! Why do you hate me?

A second lightbulb went off in my head.... I will allow it to delete all my content, and then I will restore from my iCloud back up. And when all that has taken care of itself, my device can stand tall on its own, no link to the PC. I've unchecked all those boxes after all!

I'll be living the dream, I can get out of the house, I can see friends again.... it's all going to be over and I have won!

The iCloud backup goes without a hitch, and I think about how, if I should ever have to restore from the cloud for real, it will be a slick process. So, I now have my phone in my hand, in the same great shape it was this morning.

Next, to get my new ringtone on the device.... It is no longer showing up in my devices over a WiFi connection, so it looks promising. I plug it into the Mac with a USB cable and close my eyes.

The iPhone shows up and all looks well. I check my sync settings, and yep, EVERYTHING is checked, everything. Ringtones, video's books, apps.

It has me in checkmate. Press the sync button my Mac dares me. Just see what happens.

I'm screwed.

I remember when I used to be able to manually manage music and video, but that was before iTunes Match. Now I can only manually manage video.

I hope somebody who is a lot smarter than I am reads this, and can help me.

I'm totally stumped.

I suppose one question is, how can I get my ringtone onto my iPhone without messing everything else up?

An another is, how do I cut all ties with my Mac without messing everything else up?

Thanks.

2. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Cool story, bro...

Jk. ;) Seriously though, I have no idea. Sorry. Now that I got my iphone set up the way I wanted it, I avoid syncing with iTunes like its the plague until a new iOS feature that I really want comes out.

3. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

But isn't it all supposed to be so intuitive and "just work"? lol I'm just kidding but really though this is a good example of what I mean when I say the iphone still isn't quite free from the computer yet. Just the mere fact that you still need a computer just to create your own ringtone is crazy to me.

4. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

If you're using a jailbroken iPhone, you can upload ringtones using iFile or SSH, thus bypassing iTunes/iCloud altogether.

5. rombe3jr macrumors newbie

Similar issues...

Bought my iPhone 4S last November (2011), synced to the cloud (ie never plugged it into a computer) and didn't look back. Being able to delete apps to gain more space and download them anytime is fantastic.

I used Spotify for music, tried it and decided its not worth the price ($10/month) so I wanted to sync music from my computer again. My non-iTunes catalog purchases aren't enough to justify an iTunes match subscription, but too large to repurchase every track that I already purchased on CD. So I plug my iPhone into my computer for the first time expecting to be able to manually manage music and get this:

"The iPhone is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?"

Wah? Apparently if you want to switch from your library "in the cloud" to a computer you have to lose everything and start over? Frustrating.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Only if you base all your research solely on marketing material (in which case you get what you deserve). Every option -- even Apple's -- has drawbacks.

7. rombe3jr macrumors newbie

Update:

OK so I took the plunge and did not lose any apps from my iPhone (phew!). Before I started though I did right click on my iPhone and "Transfer Purchases," and selected only the "manually manage music and videos" option. Backup is still selected as "backup to iCloud." Apparently you can do both.

8. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I guess manual syncing isn't that bad after all? I know why I will never use any cloud service ...

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I only glanced at all the posts but they sound like they are describing normal iTunes behavior. And as the last post mentioned, nothing was lost. I'm surprised you dismiss a whole technology based on one or two confused users.

10. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

No I dismiss cloud services because I don't want my files on some corporate apple/microsoft or google server and I don't trust them to always work as advertised.

11. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Agree, anyway I still need itunes to creat smartplaylists for example-and icloud still doesn't deal with them properly yet.

12. bassjunky macrumors regular

Wow, what a completely helpful and insightful post... :rolleyes: