Going from Stainless Steel to Sports now

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TorontoSS, Sep 8, 2016.

1. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

It appears that the price of the Stainless Steel watch has gone down a lot (used versions I mean) compared to the Sport one. It seems that if you're the type of person who likes to upgrade every year and sell their old ones, it's not a great idea to get the Stainless Steel ones. Here in the UK, the price of the Stainless Steel one has gone up a lot more than the Sport version.

I was going to skip this upgrade but it seems more economical to just sell my steel one, and get a sport one and enjoy the swimming and capabilities. It also seems that Apple is focusing a lot more on the fitness aspects of the watch compared to the fashion aspect.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

2. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

My thought on this: this is absolutely your decision.

For some people the resale value doesn't matter, they buy the stainless steel version for the looks or their style no matter the price.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, it seems more people are interested in the sports model, and sports aspect over making a fashion statement.

Buy what you want and enjoy, don't worry about the resale value. Its a watch to be worn and enjoyed :)

4. newdeal macrumors 68020

I sure like the looks of the stainless but for the price I can't justify it since it will be outdated in a year

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I have SS original and I will get series II NIKE version for sporting and hard use cases. I'll save SS for some events though. Why selling it when you can use both? They have different style and fit for different kind of clothes.

6. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

Agree with you and Rok73 above. One should get what they want, enjoy the watch and not worry about re-sale. THAT BEING SAID, I genuinely love the watch for it's sporting features. I like the way it looks too but the stainless steel is not such a massive difference. Thanks for your insights.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    Would agree with you generally. BUT it's nice to have a little bit to put towards the next purchase and also generally for more formal days and days when you have important meetings, I wear my proper watch. But it depends on everyone's needs/lifestyle, etc.

7. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

First off, I swim with my current SS AW. I wouldn't try to dive with it, but plenty of people have been swimming, showering, etc.. without a problem. I should note that I don't swim that often... perhaps if you did laps every day it wouldn't hold up.

Regarding upgrading, I bought my current SS AW used, so my spend was much less to begin with. I am thinking of getting either the new Nike one, or picking up a sport. I could then keep it banded for sports and outside work and keep a leather band on the SS.... but I'll probably just keep what I have. I am sure that there will be Nike clone bands pretty cheap and pretty soon.

8. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

You may be surprised – I sold my day one SS and "downgraded" to the space grey Sport and liked it much better. It's lighter, the display is easier to read in direct sunlight and the taptic engine seemed more prominent to me on the Sport.

9. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Patrick - that's some good insight. Hopefully I'll notice the upgrade!

10. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

outdated in *two* years. In my opinion it will be a two year cycle with the next iteration adding probably more battery life, a slight design change and possible a FaceTime camera and maybe an additional sensor. If they add the latter it will probably bring the cost slightly up from this generation. I think that with the apple watch you are safe to get whichever model you choose and be safe to enjoy it for years to come (with exception of the 10k+ gold ones, that was just silly).

11. mtcowdog macrumors regular

I have the AW1 stainless steel. You logic makes sense to me. If I upgrade to AW2, I would go with the cheaper option. AW3 have the potential to be big steps forward. We are early in the AW game, and improvement year over year is likely to be significant. I can see keeping my annual investment, depending on how weak I am each iteration, to a minimum.

12. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

my theory with this gen's purchase is to get the one i wanted originally when i bought the sport. I am getting the black SS with link bracelet. My plan is that with each new generation I just keep my link and buy the cheapest new black SS case with a sport back option they have. replace the sport band with my link and keep rollin. I really want a link and i have the money to get it now and from the about of durability I hear the link has it should last several generations as long as I take it to get it polished from time to time.

13. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

Sounds cheap...

14. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I feel stuck not knowing what to do with my choice. SS is nice, but you guys are right, these things are kind of throwaways. But dang the black SS looks nice.

15. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

You should get the black SS AW. It's looks sexy on men.

16. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Careful what you say... You'll start a riot on this forum! Black SS sales will go through the roof.

17. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

you think a lot of options look sexy on men, I kinda think that you think most men are sexy :p

She posts that a lot so don't let your head get to big hehe

18. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Haha I know I'm not a looker, a watch won't help!

19. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

unless its a black SS with link :)

20. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

But the danger is next year (or whenever) the strap fittings might change for series 3 due to a new design.

21. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

i could be wrong but I think it will be a long time before they change band fittings.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Price is the turn off for me. It's already not cheap for a watch you are likely to not be using in 4-5 years. Before this my most expensive watch was a $300 Tissot. Still works though :)

23. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Reckon apple would do that? I feel like they will try to incorporate the strap design and connection into all their Series.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't... they can seriously slim down the watch and still have plenty of room for that strap. I think the strap and chargning mechanism are a staple that will stay at least as long as the 30-pin.

25. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Making the Watch connector thinner is a given, the only question is when. Peer down the connectors sideways sometime, there is room for slimming - for sure.