Going from the iPhone 5 to the 5C---am I nuts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KBurke02, Oct 12, 2013.

1. KBurke02 macrumors newbie

Hello all.

Call me crazy ("YOU'RE CRAZY!") but I am a former Android user who acquired an iPhone 5 via Craigslist and I love it. But....

The phone's warranty is up in December and I am kind of a stickler for those things, AppleCare aside. It is a refurb phone that I just got a couple weeks ago via the Apple store. However I am intrigued by the 5C colors though I know it's the same basic phone for all intents and purposes. Am I out of my mind trading in my 5 at Verizon and paying 249 for an iPhone 5c? The 5S to me doesn't seem worth the extra 100 in my opinion.

Thank you.

2. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

If you want it, get it. Who are we to judge and why should you care?

5. KBurke02 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm just asking for buying advice.

6. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

No, you're asking for either justification or humiliation to purchase something you're already set on buying.

Buying advice, for instance, would be asking what color would have the highest resale value.

You've already said you're a stickler for warranties. If that and the color are worth the money to you, go for it. As an added bonus, you'll also get a (slightly) better battery and front facing camera.

7. gCloud macrumors 6502a

8. redlinux macrumors regular

redlinux

Dude, if you really like it then buy it. I mean who cares right?

IMO you're better off having the aluminum 5 than the plastic 5C. I don't think you extremely need AppleCare at this point. As long as you take good care of your phone and not dropping it, you should be fine.

Also, how about considering a $100 bump for a 16GB 5S? ;)

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

How are you paying 249 for a 5C?

This and the rest of your post makes completely no sense, nor did you announced some sentimental attachment for a 5c color (reminds you of your childhood toy).

All in all, I have no $&^@%( idea why you want to do this.

BUT IT'S YOUR MONEY, we don't care. But you are not getting any blessings from here for sure.

Is this post even serious, just-sign-on member?

10. Col Ronson, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2013

Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

There's no shame in getting the 5C. You get a better facetime camera, better battery life, and a case that wont attract scratches like no other.

Honestly if the 5C had the features of the 5S, i'd get the 5C myself. I like the colors.

11. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Don't get the iphone CHEAP. The iphone 5 is better (it is the same phone except in a cheap plastic case).

The iphone Cheap is not selling. There is tons of inventory every where. The retailers continue to cut the price lower and lower.

Apple has asked Foxconn to cut production of iphone Cheap in half.

Seriously, no one is buying them. If you really want it, wait until the continue to cut the price of the iphone Cheap.

12. Tthomas612, Oct 12, 2013

Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

What you've said is not all factual. The iPhone 5C is not "cheap." It's far from it actually. The truth is and you can read about 90% of the reviews ... It actually feels and runs like a premium device.

Idk if you have ever owned or ran a business, but just because something's production is cut in half does not mean that it's because it's not selling or whatever. There are many cases that can be tied to this.

The fact that there is plenty of inventory also does not mean the phone is not selling. Has anyone ever stopped to think Apple planned it this a way? The truth may be that the phone as sold as well as they expected it to sale up to this point. The phone is selling. I have seen plenty of people with the phone. I can take pictures next time if need be. With that said the fact that businesses are putting the phone on sale does not mean jack. Once one does it ... They all will.

With all of that said I will agree with you on one point ... If you have an iPhone 5 it is not worth it to you to get a 5c. The only thing it offers is a variety of colors a little better battery and a he front facing camera. However it is a good phone. It is an Apple product. I also honestly don't see the 5s as a great upgrade from a 5.

These phones are Apple products... I just wish people would stop with this phone is better then this one and this one is crap and all of that. They are all great phones. The 5c was overpriced but a great phone.

I don't want you to think I'm attacking you with words ... I'm just stating my opinion and observations of the situation. I mean these are all Apple products I honestly wish people would quit attacking other people's choices... It's there choice not ours.

----------

This is what I mean. If someone chooses a 5, 5c, or 5s they Are doing good. They are all great phones. None of them are "cheap" or run worse or whatever. They are all premium Apple Products. If only everyone would get it through their head and stop being so damn arrogant about the situation.

----------

This you guessed correctly! Lol

13. ionjohn, Oct 12, 2013

ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

a 5% better battery life and a plastic shell. WOW :eek:

14. redlinux macrumors regular

redlinux

Don't forget the color options too! :p

15. JGWolven macrumors regular

Nuts, no. It's definitely not a popular or common move. ;p but if it makes you feel better and that's what you want then go for it.

16. AFDoc, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013

AFDoc macrumors 68030

This is my thoughts exactly!! Your money, Your life, Your phone so how can any of us give you advice on what you should buy. Of course when I tell people this I get in trouble....... LoL. If I had made some of the comments here in this thread I would have been put in time out for trolling..... But I like them.

17. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

18. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I'm confused...did you get the phone off of CraigsList or the Apple Store?

I'm any event, you have two reasons why you prefer the 5C over the 5 so why not? Throw in a better battery and front facing camera and It is, in fact an upgrade...for you.

I wouldn't do it, a lot of people wouldn't but that shouldn't matter to you in the slightest.

19. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I think going to 5"s" would be a way better upgrade for you! :D

20. NinjaDuck macrumors member

NinjaDuck

Don't. Buy a new case for the iP5 and it's good as new.

21. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Moderator Note:

Please keep the discussion on topic.

Posts discussing political and/or religious subjects should only be made in the PRSI forum.

22. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

23. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

24. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I've done that with the Galaxy S3 because I broke the screen :p

I wouldn't suggest the OP does that but he could sell it to make himself feel less bad about the purchase.

25. urkel macrumors 68030

Are you a case user?

If "YES" then you're likely going to cover it with a case so whats the point of a lateral hardware "upgrade". Just get a thin brightly colored case and it's the same thing.

If "NO" then the device is already at risk of damage since the plastic shell does nothing to protect from screen cracks. So you really should buy Applecare and if you do then thats $250+100 for what? A bright color?

IMO, the 5c is a great device and I upgraded several relatives already to it. But for a 5 user to go to a 5c then it just seems like a waste of money. (Especially considering a new iPad is right around the corner)