Going out of country with AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prissy, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Prissy macrumors 6502

Hi, I have an iPhone 4S and do not wish to unlock the phone, but I am going to Taiwan in a month and would like to use my iPhone there. I remember someone telling me that I can call AT&T and have them let me use my phone in another country without unlocking the phone, I just have to pay a little fee. Does anyone know about this? Please let me know. Thanks.

2. OceanView macrumors 65816

3. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

You can use voice and data in Taiwan, but if you don't purchase the international voice plan and the global data plan then you will be paying very high fees per minute and per MB.

If you are planning to use data in another country, check to make sure that it's part of the global data plan.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/i...V4IS0000000000U&wtExtndSource=globalcountries

I learn that the hard way when I got hit with a $200 charge for 11 MB even though I bought the 50 MB global data plan because Vietnam isn't part of the plan. I got lucky that they retracted the charge.

4. BiggAW macrumors 68020

If XCom Global serves Taiwan, that's you best bet. And make sure if you are outside the US, you have the iPhone in Airplane mode (even if you have wifi on) so that you don't incur international charges.

5. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Actually, all you need to do is make sure that data roaming is turned off/disabled. You do not need to put it in airplane mode.

6. dave420 macrumors 65816

With data roaming off you could still be billed for phone calls and text messages. I am not sure but I think there is a charge for calls even if they go to voicemail.

7. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

I do not trust them lol never ever. Unless I have something supportive when I call, otherwise never mind... I'll be a waste of time.
    very lucky of you. Maybe the international voice plan was the one my friend got when he's there in Taiwan. Let me check out the link first. TIA.
    Yes extra roaming charge is scary. I will make sure I turn my data roaming charge off when oversea.
    I was in Taiwan last august and I DID turned off the data roaming off. BUT I would still get text msgs from friends in the US, but I did NOT get any extra charges when I got back to the US. Weird? I don't know why. Can someone explain? Thx.

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

Other countries bill text messages the correct way. The U.S. has it backwards. Other countries only charge when you send a text message. There is no charge for receiving. I'm not sure if that rule applies for all countries when roaming. This page on AT&T's site explains the roaming charges for France (couldn't find the Taiwan charges at the moment), and states the charge is only for sending messages.

9. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks bro! My name is also Dave and I love 420 :)

----------

BTW, what is "International Messaging and Data Plans" http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/i...V4IS0000000000U&wtExtndSource=globalcountries. Do I have to pay extra for this plan? The country that I am going to is listed on that list.

10. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I would have to agree on this one. U.S has it all wrong. When you receive text messages, it should not be counted toward your texting plan but rather be free, same with phone calls.

I frequently visit Korea (South), and I do have a feature phone there as my family lives there, and they don't charge you for incoming phone calls or incoming text messages. This is how it should be done.

OP: AT&T does offer international roaming but can be expansive, and I would not recommend it. What you can possibly do is just get a cheap phone in Taiwan and just use it while you are there. That's what I do in Korea, I use a cheap phone while in Korea and i'm used to it.

11. Prissy, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012

Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

I just called AT&T international # and found out their international plans. yes I pay $5.99 /mo for that call only plan and they will charge me $1.29/per min LOL, yes still expensive. I use to do the same... burrow a phone from a friend or use an unlocke phone then use the prepaid simcard from Taiwan, but I really want to use my iphone lol since it has navigation (GPS, maps) on the phone. :(

I found out from AT&T that the reason why I didn't get extra charge when I got a txt msg when I ever oversea was because the txt was incoming and was included but if I would txt back to that person, I would get charged about 50 cent per txt. My question is what IF I answered a phone call from the US when I was in TW? Will I get charged?? Thanks.

Also... Will AT&T be able to do an factory unlock to my iPhone 4S?

12. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Yes you will get charged and they will treat it as roaming.

No AT&T does not unlock iphones for any circumstances. It will remain locked permanently. You would have to buy an unlocked iphone at the apple store without contract.

13. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the confirmation. It is just so weird that I will NOT get charged receiving a text from the US when oversea, but I will get charged receiving a call from the US..

14. dave420 macrumors 65816

lol

It's even worse than that. You will be charged even if you don't answer and the call goes to voicemail, both as an incoming and outgoing call. You could always turn off your voicemail.

15. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Um you might have misunderstood on the receiving text part. You will be charged for receiving text as well. Unless you have Global messaging (International roaming) enabled. Regular texting plan, you will be charged.

16. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Purchasing an unlocked iPhone may be worth it if you travel overseas often. I plan to go back to Vietnam for three months and I'm going to cancel my AT&T line and purchasing an unlocked iPhone 4s or 5 if it's out by then. Then just use an oversea SIM. Yes, I can jailbreak the phone as well but rather not go through the hassle with the possibility of something going wrong or bricking my phone when I'm out of the country.

17. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

How do I turn my voice mail off? I know I always turn off data roaming off when I am oversea, but that's the only option I turn it off, what other things should I turn off?
    So what are all the things I need to turn off to avoid getting charged e oversea?
    I only go oversea once an year and yes I don't want to jailbreak my phone too. BTW will I must jailbreak in order to unlock my iphone?

18. dave420 macrumors 65816

If the phone is off or in airplane mode then you won't be billed for calls that go to voicemail. You can disable the voicemail forwarding in the phone settings. You can also call AT&T to disable voicemail. Then your phone will ring for a couple minutes. Not sure if that would cause a charge as well. I can't say I have any personal experience with roaming as I have never left the country. You may want to call AT&T to check.

19. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you sir :) enjoy your 420!

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If you have the capitol, I would seriously recommend buying an unlocked phone, using it in Taiwan, and then selling it here. You will likely break even, or maybe lose a couple bucks, depending on your location. IMO that is going to cause the least amount of headache. There is nothing like traveling and having to worry about babysitting your phone in fear of stupid fees ATT might tack on just because your phone rings.

21. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I totally agree.. I might just borrow my friends unlocked phones. Last was worried as ***** last year when I was in TW. kept on getting txts from the US..

22. vietalogy macrumors 6502

Easiest way would sell your current iphone and purchase a unlocked version from apple and when you get their just buy a local sim and use. Also if you need to call back to states and near wifi you can download nettalk app which you can call over wifi to states for free.

23. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

wow at US$99.95 + 15% discount... still a lot of $ for 3 weeks oversea. It's an option which I don't need to JB. I may consider it... problem is I need 2! lol
    I don't have the extra cash to get an unlock phone at this moment :(

24. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

A friend of mine is heading to Brazil for Carnival and didn't want to take his iPhone with him. Because he's on Verizon he would have to buy a unlocked phone which would have been kind of expensive for just this one week trip.

What I did because I'm on AT&T is buy the gophone from BestBuy for $2.99 on sale right now, then called AT&T and since my account is in good standing they gave me the unlock code. I then gave him the phone and he's on his way down there now. He'll buy a local SIM when he's down there. All you have to do is call AT&T customer service to get it unlocked.

Hope this helps you!