Going overseas to the U.S. and buying the iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iamchris1990yal, Nov 12, 2012.

1. iamchris1990yal macrumors newbie

I'm from New Zealand and am gonna be going overseas to the U.S. for 3 months after December 27th.
    Im wanting to buy an iPhone 5 but I honestly have no idea about getting one. I cant go on contract as I'm from another country, but can I still purchase it?
    I heard Verizon has unlocked features but I honestly dont know what all the catches are.
    ALSO is the iPhone 5 in stock? Or will I have to wait around 3 weeks to get it if I decide to purchase one?
    I'm just wondering what the best route is..whether I should get one here in New Zealand while I can or whether I can indeed get one in the U.S.
    Thanks for your help guys! :)

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Most likely it is not in stock, I would wait until I got back home to pick one up so you don't choose the wrong model, think about it, if you order it now depending on when you get back it might be there waiting for you.

3. darster Suspended

By the time you get to the US, you probably will be able to find an unlocked phone at Verizon or the Apple Store. It's after Christmas, all the buying is done, and you might be able to score one. Yes, the Verizon phone is unlocked, and I would bet by then, you will be able to walk into either store and buy one full price with no contract.

4. iamchris1990yal thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks so much! I really hope this is the case! its over $300 cheaper for me to wait and get one in New York than just get one here!

5. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

You should be fine after december! Apple will have them in stock at the store i'm sure.

6. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104