Going to Apple Store for my first repair. Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gaelinic, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Gaelinic macrumors regular

A few months ago, I bought my first Mac and converted from a PC. Much of that was due in part to these forums. However, last week, my 15" Macbook Pro (late 2008 model, I think) started having multiple problems. I bought this thing in February and now I get a message that my battery is not charging, the screen is flickering like crazy, it started overheating quite a bit, and the hard drive making all these clicking sounds (like it's failing). What the hell did you people get me into?:D

The computer only works if plugged in since battery can no longer charge. I took it in on Saturday and the tech said, "Oh boy, you better back that baby up before bringing it in. Looks like it may need a new logic board and hard drive." I backed it up with Time Machine and I'm bringing it in today.

I have had about 3 computers in the last 11 years. And this is the fastest time I've ever had my computer fail. What happened to Apple quality? Are they just going to replace parts and give me a sub-par computer?

What am I looking at?

And now, I'm reading online that my Time Machine may not recognize my "new" refurbished computer because of a different MAC address? Is that right?

Why don't they replace this lemon with a new computer?

I'm just incredibly frustrated. I was hoping someone here may have an idea at what I'm looking at. I see a lot of people here supporting Apple, but then I read people recommending Applecare, as if that is some sort of compensation for a product that should have been right the first time around. I bought into the hype.

Any insight would be helpful? Also, does Apple ever replace a system with another one?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

First off, every brand has lemons.

As far as replacing it, a new logic board and a new HDD is virtually a new computer, only short of a new LCD panel/backlight when speaking of internals.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Did it Happen all at once? I've seen plenty of Macbook Pros in my day and this isn't a typical occourance, especially not all at once.

Apple's quality is still good, but stuff happens. As far as replacement parts, Yes. See below.

Your computer screen.

See below.

An Apple forum like this is probably the worst place to get buyer advice as far as user experience (sorry guys). All you'll have are the zealots who swear by Apple products, a few people who know that stuff happens, and then the one or two time (vocal) posters who had an issue and are looking for a fix. The people who don't have issues (beyond the zealots) won't post here.

Yes. That's why i'm asking if the above symptoms happened all at once. If these issues came up once at a time and you brought it into the Apple store then you may be able to petition them for a repair after the third or so repair as that seems to be the replacement threshold for some here. But if the issues accumulated over time then you'll have to accept the fixed machine and maybe if there is another issue then you can say that its had all those issues AND this, but thats why its important to bring your machine in the moment you see anything out of spec. Applecare ain't cheap and you shouldn't put up with this.

4. Gaelinic thread starter macrumors regular

This all happened last week, all within a day of each other.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

They will replace it if the costs of repair exceed the value. So unless thewhole thing is bad, they will just repair it.

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

you know...i have had alot of bad stuff with apple...or more so stuff break...

but the reason i stay with apple is for 1 reason.

when i call them....my stuff gets fixed, im not dicking around with someone i cant understand, and i dont have to get into a pissing match over why they think the laptop im telling them is broken is really not broken.

i have had been through the "dell experience" and will never go through that again.

if my apple breaks...it will be taken care of.

7. Gaelinic thread starter macrumors regular

That's kind of why I'm feeling a little more positive here. When I took it in on Saturday, the employee believed me on the first take. I was gearing up for war. Didn't happen? They were cordial and helpful. He made my appointment for today and provided helpful notes in my appointment so "I don't have to recreate the problem for them."

I'm just frustrated that they may to replace some major components.

8. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i would be happy if they replaced major components, they dont screw around and give it back and tell you its fixed when its not...like most companys.

they replace parts and thats the best way to fix somthing.