Going to buy a Macbook -- 1 or 2 MB of memory?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by provoloney, Jan 26, 2008.

1. provoloney macrumors newbie

I'm going to buy a Macbook, probably the cheapest model. I use my computer for: e-mail, internet (several windows open at a time), itunes, microsoft word, and quicktime and youtube videos. Sometimes I use iphoto and I may buy an iphone. Should I upgrade to 2 MB of memory, or should 1 MB be enough?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

First off, I assume you mean GB, not MB :) Second, I'd suggest 2GB, even for light usage like yours, because my experience is that OS X isn't great with only 1GB. You might want to consider buying the upgrade from a third-party other than Apple, though, as their memory prices are exceptionally high, as you'll see mentioned often if you peruse the forums.

3. provoloney thread starter macrumors newbie

My bad! You're right 2 GB, not MB. I guess 2 MB would be really slow.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I suggest you try it out for a few weeks with 1GB

5. provoloney thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it easy to install an extra GB on your own? (If you buy your own memory vs. getting it from the store)

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

yeah. you just need a tiny screwdriver. you can get 2gb for $40 from newegg.

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Get 2GB 1 is horrible way too slow even for basic tasks

8. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

if you're going to upgrade the memory from apple anyway, just get 4GB from OWC. Here's a link. The upgrade from apple cost $150 so I recommend going through OWC and getting twice the RAM for less money.

edit: sorry too late, didn't realize you were going third party. You need a #00 screwdriver.

9. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

You'd be better off with 2GB. Buy it separately online and install yourself to save some money.