Going to buy an iPod Touch from Apple.com Will engraving my name ruin a warranty?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BulkyPhilly, Oct 30, 2008.

1. BulkyPhilly macrumors newbie

2. iGary Guest

iGary

3. biikman macrumors regular

AS igary said you will be able, however you wouldn't be able to return it if you changed your mind and just wanted to return it.

4. wbeasley macrumors regular

wbeasley

I think it's interesting ...

that he thinks it might "break 7 months later".

Why not 6? or 8?

Does he know something about iPod touches that we dont? LOL

5. southernpaws macrumors 6502

just a thought: name engraving kills the resale value should you want to sell off your ipod when the next upgrade comes along.

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

If Apple engraves it, it won't kill your warranty. As southernpaws said though, it will kill the resale potential, unless you can find a buyer with the same name as yours.

Microsoft has a better idea, offering custom art you can have engraved on a Zune. If a buyer likes your choice of art it might even enhance the resale value.

7. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

not trying to hijack...

i have a question, if say you did get your ipod engraved, and did need to return it would apple send you a new ipod with it engraved the same?

if so then i am going to assume that means it could only be returned through apple and not a retail store, is this correct?

8. ballerchild macrumors newbie

It's up to you. I had to get my engraved 2nd gen touch replaced because of horrible battery life. I went into the Apple store and they were going to give me a brand new one on the spot, but I wanted to keep my engraving because my gf bought it for me and had it engraved. I sent it to Apple so they can send me a new, engraved one and now I'm just waiting on FedEx to deliver it!

9. Floris macrumors 68000

Floris

10. monstergizmos macrumors newbie

engraving good side

I have all of my ipod stuff engraved. Usually the word reward and a phone number.

Resale might be a few dollars less, but after having our first one stolen we moved to this idea. Last ITouch also said "Happy 13th Birthday Lexi" Anyone who "finds" it will be more likely to call for the reward rather than keeping it and risking a curious parent or buddy dialing the number and finding out it is stolen.

11. Mechanicus macrumors member

Do what my friend did. Engrave it with "Congratulations on surviving cancer" so whoever steals it would feel really bad.

12. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Assuming the *thief* has a conscience. :p