Going to buy Macbook Pro but will new processors be on the horizon shortly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spizzi, Nov 6, 2008.

1. spizzi macrumors newbie

Just wondering what the opinions are of the folks in this forum are on whether to buy a MB Pro now or wait for, if any, newer chips on the way? To put some parameters around this question, I am wondering if it is feasible for new laptop CPU chips to be on the horizon (ie. Intel's i7) for introduction by Apple in the Macbooks by Macworld SF 2009?

Thoughts, ideas?

Thanks again!

2. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

If you need it now.
    Buy it now.
    There are always new procs on the way.

3. spizzi thread starter macrumors newbie

don't need it now but itching to pull the trigger soon.

I can wait until Macworld SF 2009 though. So if it is pretty certain there will be a refresh of the processors by then, then I will wait.

4. Hydroxs macrumors regular

The mobile i7 wont come out till late 2009/early 2010

5. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

they may have a speed bump in the summer of 2009, but probably nothing earth shattering. if you need it, buy it.

6. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

When you check the mac rumors buyers guide you will notice that apple's hardware update cycles pretty stay constant. The MacBooks and the MacBook Pros have seen an major update even with a case redesign, so my guess is that there won't be any updates for the next months. I think it's a fabulous time to buy a mac laptop right now.

7. Dontdothat317 macrumors member

Of course as with anything.. don't hold your breath if you really need it now (which is kind of the boat I'm in). I don't currently own a MBP, and I am waiting for several specs to be included before I take the plunge.

Although it is likely that a new update won't happen for at least few months, since we just had one, it's interesting to note that the Intel Core 2 Quad Mobile (aside from the extreme QX9300) is now on Intel's official website. I have a strong feeling that we will see Quad Core MBPs soon.. as in.. with the next update or two. Reason being is... the MBP is a 2000+ $ laptop which is supposed to be a mobile workstation. Mobile quads were designed specifically for laptops like the MBP. If I recall correctly, even the extreme QX9300 had a TDP of 45W, and I read somewhere (not sure if it's accurate) that intel was able to bring it down to 35W for the QX9300. Whether or not that's true, its still possible that the non-extreme mobile quads (the Q9100 and Q9000) could achieve a TDP of 35W, which is what the current core 2 duos are running at.

If you click on the Buyer's Guide tab and look at MBP, you will find this article concerning Intel's Mobile Processor intended refresh timeline.. of course they usually never follow it exactly, but its interesting to look at. Here is a direct link:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2008/10/23...-to-be-refreshed-in-april-nehalem-soon-after/

All that information, coupled with the fact that some other manufacturers are already trying to push out quad-core workstation laptops points to the MBP getting a quad-core soon. For if it doesn't, consumers will be paying 1000 over the cost of a quad-core dell or what have you (even though most of us would never buy a dell).

Now you might ask, why do I need a quad? you might not, but with the CAD software I use, I'd like to have a quad along with DDR3 and 8GB memory support if I'm to pay 2500 for a laptop. DDR2 is becoming more and more extinct and DDR3 memory is moving in to the norm for laptops. It's already pretty standard for PCs.

8. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

Yeah I bet they will have something but it might not be that significant of a speed bump to worry about

9. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

The MB and MBP was updated three weeks ago and you're worried about another update?:rolleyes: Macworld will most likely see updated Mac Pro and iMac's as well as mini's and the unibody 17" MBP. The portable line will probably be refreshed closer to summer at best. The "Buyers Guide" portion of this website is a good indication of what's anticipated. You might want to check the page out.

10. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

It's going to be a while until the next bump. This is a fine time to buy.

11. 7even macrumors 6502a

There are always new processors on the horizon. If you need it, buy it..

12. cube macrumors G5

The only interesting thing would be for Apple to use AMD Fusion next year.