Going to buy our first iphones, for wife and me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maximus96, Jul 9, 2009.

1. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

I’m planning to head down to the apple store later today to pick up 16gb 3gs’ for me and the wife and I have a couple of questions. I’ve had a first gen ipod touch a while back and I’m was familiar with the interface and the jailbreaking but have been out of the loop for a while since selling it.

I have a few questions:
    Can the iphone sync over the air with my work calendar with MS Exchange? If so, is there any extra fees? With my old blackberry, wireless sync costs more money each month.

I plan to jailbreak at least my iphone. Is the current options redsnow and purplerain? Which is the preferred method?

Lastly, are there any options for free voip? With my blackberry and tmobile, a built-in feature lets me use my home wifi signal to make and receive calls on the blackberry. I want to know if there is a way to do that with the iphone.

Thanks

2. aicul macrumors 6502a

For voip try Skype, nimbuzz or fringe. The latter 2 support skype and other services so I tend to prefer them.

Jailbreak ? Before you do that, try using it as is a week, you may see that jailbreak is not essential. But that is your choice.

3. Tonezorz macrumors member

Although I have not tried either, I believe redsn0w .8 to be the most stable jailbreak for the 36s. It's a little more complicated and time consuming (5 mins as apposed to 30 seconds?) but more stable. I've used it to unlock a 3G and iPod Touch w/3.0

It will be what I use this afternoon when my 3GS arrives.

I do believe exchange calendars are supported, can anyone else chime in with a for-sure and if ATT charges extra?

As for free VOIP I'm not sure. are you looking to call actual numbers or other people using voip clients?

4. maximus96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maximus96

thanks for the replies guys.

for voip, i'm looking to call other cells and land lines. i'm thinking i will get no signal from at&t at our house. we actually don't get signals from anybody at our house so voip over wifi is the solution for us. can skype, or these other services, let you receive calls using your real phone number? with tmobile UMA, i make and receive call on my wifi signal as if i was receiving cellular signals from tmobile but i'm thinking that is not possible with the iphone.

5. maximus96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maximus96

got the phones! pretty neat, reminds me very much of when i had the ipod touch, with now i can browse the web without wifi.

can anybody tell me if i can sync and manage both iphones with one computer?

a note about exchange, the apple store kid told me i need to pay for Enterprise data from AT&T which is about $15 more so no go for me.

6. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

What happens when you try?

7. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

You don't. Exchange will work fine without Enterprise Data Plan.

8. maximus96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maximus96

So I can sync my work outlook calender over the air with just the normal data plan?

I haven't tried syncing the phones yetcus I'm still at work so I don't know what will happen

also, can you get the recorded videos out of the iphone? i remember my old ipod touch was "in only", i can put music in, but can't copy it out. is it the same case with recorded video?

9. army91c macrumors 6502a

I love the "although Ihave not tried either".... if you haven't tried either how can you say redsn0w is more stable.... How about before you pipe up actually use one or the other. Until then you're just talking out your butt.

You can sync 2 phones with one comp, I sync my iPhone and my wifes without issue.

10. alansaysstop macrumors regular

As for redsn0w i used it on my girlfriends 3G and my 3G and it worked fine, I tried it on my 3G S and it didn't turn out so great. I couldve messed soemthing up though. I haven't tried again since I restored it. Also, winterboard acts funny to me on 3.0

11. ronnyuk macrumors member

Do you use Exchange at work?
    iphone works amazing with exchange, your calender will sync with the one on your exchange server and email works flawlessly, it's not perfect but setting it up takes about 30 seconds and is something i could not do without

I have not tested it yet with SBS2008 or Exchange 2007 but on 2003 it works. It also costs nothing if you got unlimited data.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I use it with 2007 on a daily basis. Works almost flawlessly (I say "almost", because whenever I change my password I need to delete and re-add the Exchange account. Simply entering the new password when prompted results in a "can't connect to server" error).

13. Que macrumors 6502

ooooooooooooo someone's a bit grumpy today.

so are you saying that nobody is allowed an opinion until they have first hand experience with the item that they are talking about? so if someone that has used "item 1" tells me that "item 1" is brilliant, i can't pass that knowledge to another unless i use it myself? so if a doctor prescribes you some medication, do you get written confirmation that he's used it himself?

what a ridiculous thing for you to have a whinge about, they helped out the OP by passing on information that they'd heard feedback on and stated that their opinion wasn't based on first hand knowledge so that the OP could make up their own mind.