Going to China need advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by accinfo, Feb 7, 2012.

1. accinfo macrumors member

I am going to China on February 16. I have a IPhone 4S on Verizon. What is the cheapest way to make calls both within China to a friend I am going with and communicating back home? My friend suggested I buy an unlocked $100 Nokia phone on Amazon and buy the sim card when we get there and it will be less expensive. Can I buy a card over there that will fit in my iPhone? I do want to be able to check my voice messages a couple times a day. Thanks for anyone's help and suggestion.

2. DerekRod, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

You can have Verizon unlock your iPhone 4S sim slot to use a local sim as long as youve been a customer for 60 days,I believe CHina Unicom has micro sims

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You would have to pay for roaming to check your messages! Not a good idea.

4. Mcbee macrumors newbie

I just back from china and I would suggest you to take an additional phone with you. Get the local Prepaid sim card right at the train station or airport. iPhone is troublesome because th prepaid phone cards are regular sims.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You need to bring some new iPhone 4S units with you as you could sell them for $1500+ each quickly!

6. caoap1 macrumors newbie

actually you cant. People there are selling for around $840 for 16G

7. juoodet macrumors newbie

!!!

8. accinfo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks that is what we are probably going to do. I assume I can call my US cell phone cheaper from the other phone with the Chinese local sim card in it?

9. hexproject macrumors member

check out http://www.xcomglobal.com/

that's what i used for traveling.

it's $15 bucks per day.
    unlimited data.

used skype to call back... nice and cheap..
    they gave me 3 batteries, so it was a good deal and good setup.
    I can also use it to check my email with my ipad and macbook...

but only draw back, you have to carry around the MIFI hot spot.. but that's a small price...

10. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

Just buy a SIM/microsim in China - 20.00 - 30.00USD for a months worth of calling!

If you can't find a Microsim, you should be able to buy a SIM cutter for 5 - 10.00USD:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/stainl...m-card-adapters-for-apple-ipad-iphone-4-41275

Or buy one before you leave - takes about 3 - 4 weeks to ship to the US.

Yes because Verizon roaming will be a 1.00 a minute! (check their roaming rates...)

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

You don't say where you are going or how long you plan to be there, but you can buy prepaid micro sim cards in any major city, and even in the shops in many airports.

Just get your sim slot unlocked first...

There are plenty of iPhones in China already - originals and clones.

12. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

I wouldn't know, but I do know that there are many sweat shops over there where they make all the high end electronics you buy here. I'm sure you could find something that works there I guess you would have to ask around.

However I have different advice for you. when you dine out in China make sure that the beef isn't real stringy, I heard that's what Dog meat does. Looks like beef but it's not, it's Fido.

Also be careful of the Chow meow with noodles. You thought it was chicken, meow don't get upset that was calico Surprise!!!!

Enjoy your trip.

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Have Verizon unlock your phone and just buy prepaid sim in china

14. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

Wow, where are you dining?! I don't think most reputable restaurants serve dog anymore.

However, they do eat horse meat in Western China (popular in Central Asia). Looks red like beef.

15. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

It is quite difficult to find dog or cat in most cities in China on the menu...

16. difang macrumors newbie

they cried, they cried ... ... sad,replica watches happy, they laugh, what wonder!"
    She is quite Xiunao mind at this time, her urine and from the city to the brightest Hero Road, said Uncle Peter, by the influence of their blood not tears, normally never cry.
    Just think of the miserable just like to see. With her husband, their destroyed the chest to a number of quiet anger Jingsi, like a nightmare, wake up, though still feeling. However,