Going to England - Does AT&T Unlock iPhone4s and Can I get a PAYG MicroSIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dylanursula, Aug 27, 2010.

1. dylanursula macrumors 6502

Hey all

I am going to England in November, and my wife and I use iPhone4s. Does AT&T unlock iPhone4s for this purpose? Also, to the UK'ers do folks like Carphone Warehouse etc sell Pay As You Go (PAYG) MicroSIMs, if so who is the best provider currently for limited phone usage but decent amount of data usgae but only over a 2 week period?

Thanks ALL

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

No, AT&T does not unlock iPhones, period. For traveling to the UK, if you haven't updated your iPhone 4 to 4.0.2, just jailbreak it and unlock it in less than 2 minutes total. Then when you get to the UK, pop into Carphone Warehouse or Phones4U or ANY store and get an 02 sim. I think 02 is the best value for what you're looking for including data on Pay as you go. You'll also need to have a micro-sim cutter or be nifty with a pair of scissors so that when you get your sim in the UK you can cut it to fit in the iPhone 4. I bought a sim cutter (think hole punch) for about $10 on eBay.

If you're already on firmware 4.0.2, you're stuffed. Look into borrowing an unlocked handset from a friend, or pick up a cheap pay-as-you-go phone in England.

3. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey there... thanks! One is on 4.0 and the other is on 4.01. Question though, one is JB already via Jailbreakme.com - does that mean I need to do anything else to UNLOCK it too?

Thanks
    D

4. adztaylor macrumors 68000

O2 simplicity would be the best way to go for PAYG without a doubt.

5. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

6. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

7. WilliamG macrumors 604

Yes, absolutely! Jailbreaking works on 4.0 and 4.0.1 currently.

Go to www.jailbreakme.com , and then slide to jailbreak as it shows you. Load the Cydia app that appears on your main screen (that's the unofficial App store), do a search for Ultrasn0w (which is the unlock), install it. Done! Be happy.

Now all you need is the SIM cutter, unless you're handy with a pair of scissors. :)

8. adztaylor macrumors 68000

You don't need to do this, O2 are giving out PAYG micro SIM cards.

9. WilliamG macrumors 604

They weren't when I was there last month. If they are now, your job is even easier. :)

10. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

I have emailed O2 and will see what they say...

11. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

O2 emailed back and confirmed they indeed have microSIMs for PAYG....

12. WilliamG macrumors 604

Well there you go! Just make sure to unlock your iPhone 4 before you get there so you're ready to grab a sim and be on your way! :)

13. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

I did the JB and then the UltrasnOw.... without having a O2 microSIM before I get there is there anyway to check it is indeed unlocked? I went to Tmobile to get a SIM and there said its $10 for a PAYG SIM.

14. WilliamG macrumors 604

Oh it works. Don't worry. You may need to turn off 3G though. Just remember that. And occasionally you need to reboot and give it a minute to pick up the signal when you switch SIM.

15. Absolem macrumors regular

*cough*4.0.2*cough* just fyi is jailbreakable with redsnow. appsync just doens't work.