Going to go vote today with my ID in hand

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Have two pieces of ID to prove who I am since I haven't updated my drivers license to my current address yet. (You can use drivers license or Ontario ID alone or two pieces of ID from a selection of ~39.

For some reason there are no calls of racism in Canada due to requiring someone to ID themselves before casting a vote?

Voting for conservatives of course, don't believe a rich kid knows what the middle class is let alone how to help them out, my taxes are high enough without your help, thank you.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Did Ontario go and close down most of the DMV offices in the counties with majority black populations like Alabama is doing?

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I'm voting absentee; I haven't stood in a voting booth since I pulled the lever for Clinton in 1992. Ah, that grand feeling of satisfaction: driving going to the polling place and standing with my fellow citizens, feeling smug and self-righteous because we're doing our civic duty. I miss those days.

4. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Ontario provides free health cards which serves as a photo ID, and you can pair it with tax forms that were mailed to you or utility bills.

The US would likely need a free facility to gain Photo ID, but the liberals don't even get to that point before yelling racism. Too many illegal votes potentially going down the drain. Then again in places like California I think they issue these scumbags drivers licenses anyways. Probably to serve jury duty when they get called up.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I love it. The republicans go out of their way to complicate one of our rights based entirely upon the fact it could potentially be a problem, but talk about guns control while people are being shot up all over the place, and watch the excuses roll in for why they not going to do anything, nor should they.

GUNS ARE A NATURAL RIGHT THAT SHOULD NOT BE INFRINGED UPON! NO LISTS! NO REGISTRIES! NOTHING! ANYTHING MORE THAN NOTHING AT ALL IS TYRANNY! YOU NEED AN ID, A VALID BIRTH CERTIFICATE, AND HAVE TO TRAVEL 15 MILES AWAY FROM YOUR HOME TO VOTE!

I might take your arguments over rights more seriously if they weren't so selective.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Look at you, trying so hard to stir up some outrage.

So cute.

But just to remind you, I've said a number of times in these discussions that I'm fine with requiring ID, so long as the citizens are given ample time to obtain them, so they aren't unnecessarily disenfranchised.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well once the US has that free and easy way to get a photo ID then we can talk about requiring photo ID to vote.

As it is when states require photo IDs to vote and then make it more difficult for minorities to get that photo ID it appears to be racially motivated, or at the very least a targeted attack on people who hold a certain political view.

8. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This argument would hold water if anyone on the gun side was calling for an end to background checks or requiring ID to buy a firearm.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

The NRA took a stance against instant background checks a couple years back. Love how LaPierre tossed out the old National Gun Registry chestnut as part of the justification.

The simple fact is, it should be easier to vote than it is to get a gun.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The bigger problem in the US is the poor participation rate in elections. If non-citizens are voting they are better Americans than many of the flag wavers. You should get over the xenophobia and embrace these people who have the enthusiasm to participate and make the country better.

11. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Requiring voters to provide ID is requiring them to pay a voting tax. There in no evidence of widespread voter fraud in the USA. The only ones who push for voter ID laws are those who wish to deny voters their civil liberties.

12. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If you aren't checking ID there is no way to investigate, convenient.

Are you also for allowing people to exercise their right to bare arms without identifying themselves?

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

A bit of a false equivalency, since there's practically zero evidence of any extensive voter fraud, but guns are used in murders and crimes all the time.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You register to vote. And from what I've read about California's system, there is a check done on to confirm the information. When voting, you sign a register that has your name and address. So why you believe there'd be "no way to investigate" is odd. What's missing that would prevent an investigation?

15. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Fun thing, I'm in Ohio, I don't need an ID to vote, I just have to verbally confirm my name and address, sign the book and vote.

It's been that way since my first election I could vote in.

16. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

So, now someone is considered xenophobic if they support federal voting laws? Really? How does voting illegally make a non-citizen a better American than a 'flag waiver?"

17. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

I've no problems with people rolling up their sleeves to bare their arms, sans an ID!

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Do you have to be reminded of the original reason for the Voting Rights Act (1965), and, be reminded that, by their own admission, proponents of the new voter ID laws of a few years ago tailored those laws specifically to disenfranchise young, poor, and minority voters?

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...isenfranchise-minorities-and-the-poor/254572/

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...s/why-voter-id-laws-arent-really-about-fraud/

Now, if a level-2 verified or whatever government issued ID is so important, why don't the states in question offer such an ID for free to every citizen residing in the state, and, give people plenty of time to get the ID, instead of, say, closing the offices where you can get such an ID in areas that are heavily minority voters? Oh, don't tell me-- it is because "they" are demanding more "free stuff", like an ID. :rolleyes:

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It could be issued upon verification of the voter's registration.

Even if the voter lost their card, have them sign an affidavit at the poll that they are registered to vote.

And then check to make sure they actually were.

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

21. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Let's take a look at California, they auto register everyone who get a drivers license to vote, guess who they allow to get licenses?

They expect these people to opt out aka honor system, nothing else would stop them from casting a ballot.

On top of this the distribution of seats in the house is heavily influenced by populations, imagine having millions of non citizens sway the seating of your representation.

22. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If liberals were honest they would just come out and say they want illegals to vote, both sides know this is true, but instead we decide to go the deception route.

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

I'm a liberal. I don't want illegals to vote. I could just as easily say, why don't you and the conservatives be honest and say that you don't want poor and minority people voting. I mean, we all know it's true. See, that was easy.

24. .Andy, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Do you have evidence of this massive influence "illegals" have on election results? Or are you tilting at windmills?

When 40-50% of Americans on average don't even bother to vote (an international embarrassment) you should embrace people that actually care enough about the country to be motivated enough to care. This is the real problem with politics, not the boogeyman you are told by the media to fear.