Going to Heathrow Airport... would I have to remove MBP out of sleeve?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fokket, Jun 23, 2009.

1. fokket macrumors regular

As far as I'm aware (already searched this forum by the way), the laptop has to be removed out of the bag at the security check?. Question is, would it have to be taken out of a sleeve? I'm just concerned about it getting scratched dented etc.

TSA (that's the American one) was fine with sleeve types, but that was because TSA explicitly allowed it.

I'm considering getting a extra large ziploc bag just in case.

Thanks in advance.

2. qpid macrumors regular

They usually tell me to place it in a tray by itself. I just do that. 5 countries no problems.

3. fokket thread starter macrumors regular

Meaning without sleeve? was that at Heathrow? because I don't care for other airports.

4. cu2010 macrumors 6502

I love your idea of putting your laptop in a Ziploc bag :D
    It's a bit suspicious though.
    Also, you might want to bring a pair of rubber gloves, because sometimes gate agents want to lay their hands on your laptop before you board a plane regardless of the class you're flying or your appearance.

5. AppleMark macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

I pass through Heathrow a few times. The answer is yes & no.

No, that usually they only want the laptop out of your bag and in the tray for scanning. I have a sleeve and have only ever been asked to take it out on one occasion and that was to prove that it was a working Apple Macbook and not (perhaps) an explosive packed Jihadibook. :eek:

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I flyer frequently, typically 10-15 times a year. So far, my Alu MBP (without a sleeve or hard case) has yet to sustain any scratches or dents due to airport security.

Chances are, you'll learn quickly or slowly from travelling that if your laptop has to be powered down and switched off completely! In this case, those security guys won't have a reason to physically handle your machine. If it's in sleep mode then they'll pass the machine back to you asking you to shut it down.. as it makes their machines bleep - thinking it's a bomb or something.

7. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

Just went to LAX to Hawaii two times each. Both times they didnt make me take my laptop out of its sleeve.

8. nissin macrumors newbie

i have flown a couple of times with mine out of lambert (stl), chicago-midway and chicago-ohare and every time they have asked me to remove it from the sleeve and place it in a bin by itself. i've even tried to think ahead and place the sleeve under it before they ask and they still have asked me to remove the sleeve completely. i tell them to search it whatever, i just don't want my case scratched. they just reply, 'sorry, we'll be careful' as they toss it on the conveyor belt. jerks.

9. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I always keep my laptop out of the sleeve, but in standby (sleep mode).
    Never had any problem. However I was also thrilled about sleeves. One guy in front of me about a month ago, in Newark, got asked to take the laptop out of the sleeve. But wasn't a mac...

10. molala macrumors 6502a

The last time I went through Heathrow, I don't think I had to take my laptop out of my backpack at all, but that was last December. If you have to, they give you a tray - you have some time to lay it out carefully on a jacket or the laptop sleeve to make sure it's not roughed up.