Going to hop on the AW wagon. But torn on which to get!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Sukach, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Sukach macrumors regular

I'm always hesitant to make this kind of thread, but there are always at least a few on the main page and they're generally warmly received, so what the heck.

I'll be getting my first watch (AW2) probably for my birthday next month. I think I prefer the aesthetic of the 38mm on my ~171mm wrist (male). For budget reasons, I'm going with the Sport. But, I'm really torn between the material...Silver or Space Gray. Previously, I've leaned toward the Space Gray. But, I have concerns. I've read the SG gets scratched easier (I don't see me getting a new AW for at least 3 years after this). Also, do more bands go with the Silver or SG?

So torn! In the end, I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever I decide. But, I just thought I'd ask those of you that have maybe had both or regret one or the other.

Thanks in advance.

2. a2bucks macrumors member

I've had the space grey aluminum watch since launch, a year and a half ago, and it has no scratches at all, even though I've banged it against walls occasionally. It won't show routine small scratches like the stainless steel one does. I think you would have good luck with it for 3 years apart from some major trauma to the watch.

I am going to upgrade and am considering the gold aluminum with cocoa band, just to have something different this time around. The space grey with black sports band goes with just about anything though.

3. DocMultimedia macrumors regular

I've had the space gray aluminum for the past year+ and I've never gotten a scratch. I'm leaning towards the silver aluminum with the Nike silver/volt band this time. I've got a few other bands that I can use when I need to dress up a bit. I'm no king of style, but all the bands I've got look good with the gray. I'm betting they'll also go well with the silver.

4. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Happy birthday! Silver aluminum will go with almost every band, but space gray with black looks awesome and will go with anything!

5. xtshabi macrumors member

Space Gray is definitely scratch resistant.
    Never had any scratches on mine.

38mm on males is... rather unconventional, even if you have a small wrist.
    It's probably worth spending a little extra for the 42mm, or at least try it on several times before making the decision.

6. Sukach thread starter macrumors regular

Ugh. I'm waffling so much. This decision seems so much tougher than which color iPhone. The watch is so much more visible.

7. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

This !!! Big time !!!

8. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Unconventional? We had this discussion at launch. 38mm looks great on some males who prefer a more discreet looking watch. It's a personal choice and not for you to disparage others.

9. Sukach thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed, its a personal choice. And, don't worry, xtshabi, I did not take it as disparaging. Maybe I'll eventually get the 42mm but I've always been a no-watch guy, so going from that to a huge watch seems like a big jump to me. The 38mm is as subtle as it gets, so that's what I'm going to start with.

10. xtshabi macrumors member

Calling a choice unconventional is disparaging? Let me play the world's tiniest violin and apologize for my nano-aggression.