Going to Israel... can I take my 27" iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Turnpike, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

There was a post exactly like this, but it's from almost 10 years ago... since then the iMacs are half the weight and so much has changed with Airlines... Has anyone done this recently? I'm from the US, and coming back here in a month or so, and in theory would be bringing it with me.

...So, 9 years later, would transporting it in the original box with fragile stickers on it with the regular luggage still be the best route? (does the stand come off these, and do you think it would be able to be brought up in the cabin...?

...and what about duty or import tax, customs, etc...? If it's my own personal machine, do I need to pay this stuff?

Any experiences with this type of thing would be very much appreciated!

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Not something I'd risk. I'd go UPS with insurance.
    Alternatively you can buy cases for shipping monitors around (we have some from Tenby at work), which are much more sturdy than the cardboard you get from Apple.
    I don't believe you can easily take the stand off these days.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It wasn't then, and its not now. That thread (and correct me if I'm wrong) had the OP buying a Pelican case for his travel needs.

The way customs work, I wonder if the iMac would arrive shortly after his departure home?

Correct, the stand is not removable at this stage

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My opinion only. but take a laptop instead.

Less screen space, but....

Less bulk, less trouble, less hassle, less worry.

And a really good reason to buy a Macbook if you don't already have one!

5. Pclaesen macrumors newbie

UPS (and Fedex, DHL) have their own customs teams. The customs clearance is (usually) quite fast this way, faster then with USPS.

Shipping + customs clearance will cost a lot of money tho, maybe sell the iMac in Israel and buy a new at home, so you have the most recent machine? Don't know whihc iMac you own now.

6. cube, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016

cube macrumors G5

What you should be allowed to check in normally:

- International premium economy: 2x pieces of luggage of 23Kg
    - Business: 2x pieces of luggage of 35Kg

I have seen a case of an airline allowing check in of 2x pieces of luggage of 23Kg for Economy on certain intercontinental flights.

A 27" screen is too big for carry on.

Some people check in big TVs.

An ATA form is what one usually needs to deal with customs both ways in such cases.

7. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

A copy of the receipt would be a good idea to prove that it was purchased personally and not to import/sell. I doubt the customs guy would even ask however.

Ship it, or buy a laptop to carry on, airlines are pretty much not responsible for lost electronics, even if it is there fault it is lost/stolen/broken.

What are you doing for a month that neither a laptop or iPad would be acceptable? A cheap Windows laptop/chrome book might even cost less than the shipping charge for the iMac with insurance.

8. cube macrumors G5

A receipt does not prove it was not bought for permanent import to the destination.

9. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Yes can, but you might now want to.

Israeli airport security will shoot your iMac.

10. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Yes, but if it was purchased a year ago (for example), it is pretty strong evidence that it was a personal purchase vs for resale. Also the receipt would prove it was purchased in the US, so no duty is owed on the return to US leg.

FYI, items can also be registered, but it is probably overkill:

http://www.independenttraveler.com/...ernational-travel/customs-and-duty-free-guide

Register Your Items
    To avoid confusion, the CBP recommends that you register certain items before you leave the United States -- that way you can prove that you owned an item before you left. This is particularly important for expensive foreign-made items like laptops or watches. You can register the items at the nearest CBP office or at the international airport from which you are departing -- just request a Certificate of Registration (CBP Form 4457) and have the items (including serial numbers) handy.

11. cube, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016

cube macrumors G5

It is not the same as the ATA Carnet, which also handles transit and destination. The latter is what you need (you have to check if it is accepted in each country, OK in this case).

This allows temporary imports of up to one year.

12. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

After a LOT of research, for what it's worth, I decided that if I really need an iMac over there, they do sell them, and I'd just pay about 25% more over there and have no customs, import, security, or handling issues or dangers. So as for now, that's my plan if my Macbook doesn't cut it. Thanks for the imput everybody! If I do end up trying something, I will post my results on here for reference.

13. cube macrumors G5

Well, yes. Getting an ATA Carnet is quite expensive in the US.

14. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP wrote:
    "that's my plan if my Macbook doesn't cut it."

The Macbook is "the solution".
    It's easier.
    It just is.

15. cube macrumors G5

Buying an inexpensive monitor over there might also optimize his work.