Going to London, Canterbury, and Paris. Questions about using my phone while there.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mantic, Apr 30, 2009.

1. mantic macrumors 6502a

My trip is planned in Aug. and i'll be there for 10 days- will need to use my phone. What are my options so avoid outrageous charges. I have a 2g iPhone and would like to text and talk. I'm not worried about internet as I hope i'll just be able to hit the internet hot spots when available use wifi.

2. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

BUY AN OVERSEAS DATA PLAN AT LEAST 50MEGS! Alternative jailbreak install bosspref turn off edge and location services. Turn email to manuel as well also disable roaming no matter what!

3. cap'njack macrumors member

Make sure you visit lots of Starbucks and McDonalds here in the UK as they offer free wifi ;)

Check your hotel's too as many now offer wifi either in the rooms or in public areas.

4. matttye macrumors 601

You can get WiFi at certain train stations as well, like Kings Cross - although I'm not sure if that's from the trains that also offer WiFi. It could well be :D

5. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

You can check with your carrier whether euro Sim cards can work on the iPhone. Mine is a carrier officially unlocked iPhone and when I was in other countries, I realised that I could just pop in pre-paid SIM cards to access the local GSM network. The agent from my carrier can't explain it too.

My iPhone was never unlocked, only jailbroken.

6. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It'll be from BT Openzone, which is free to O2 iPhone customers but not for international visitors.

Phazer

7. pauliphone macrumors regular

yeah, most of the major train stations, waterloo, liverpool street, kings x are all covered by bt openzone. You could buy some credit for bt openzone and that seems to be pretty much everywhere, i know that in most of the west end you are in openzone wifi as they broadcast it out from phone boxes.

i don't know if the setup is different on american phones, but in the uk we have an option under settings>general>network that lets you turn off data roaming so you won't get a massive bill for data when you get home.