Going to New York, is there anywhere to hire Sony Lenses for a few days?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by steviem, Aug 14, 2010.

1. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Basically as the title says.

I have a Sony A300 and after a few trips to New York, I've gone through my photos and see what I need for the shots of the Architecture that I want to take, I need something wider than the 18mm width on the kit lens.

I can't quite afford a 10-20 for keeps, so I thought it might be an idea to hire one for the few days I spend in the city.

I looked on the Adorama website, where I'll possibly buy a 50mm from, but they don't hire Sony lenses it seems. Does anyone know another place in Queens, Manhattan or Brooklyn that would hire lenses out?

Thanks!

2. jabbott macrumors 6502

You may want to check B&H Photo and Video in midtown Manhattan (directions). I know they sell lots of Sony lenses, although I'm not sure if they will lease them. Since seeing video of their huge retail store, I've wanted to go just to see it. :)

3. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Sorry - read your post. Yeah, doesn't look like Adorama has any sony lenses - shame, they're generally a great place to rent from.

4. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

You could try buying one and then returning it. Just don't damage it. B&H and Adorama have 15 and 30 day return policies, respectively. Maybe not the most ethical/responsible/safe thing to do, but hey, if you need a lens...

5. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Just use www.lensrentals.com. LensRentals is the best there is with regard to renting lenses.

6. steviem thread starter macrumors 68020

steviem

$65 all in for 4 days isn't too bad.... Have you used them yourself?

7. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

I have. My brother used them as well when making his last student film, renting a 7D+12-24+135/2 from them. Everything was in order, with no problems whatsoever.

LR is as good as it gets, and their site is very informative in general, even if you don't rent anything.

8. Presha macrumors regular

+1. This is only place I rent from.