Going to Pre-Order iPhone 4 but not sure I can give up my EVO

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigdaddyMBP, Jun 14, 2010.

1. BigdaddyMBP macrumors newbie

Hey All,

Big Apple Fan here,

So I had an Iphone 3GS and sold it, and decided while I was waiting to pre-order the Iphone 4 I would check out the EVO. Man there are some small issues that will need to be ironed out, but I have never had this much fun with a phone period.

I am an apple fan, but I also like diversity.... Android, while maybe not quite as polished feels very intuitive, and so far has worked flawlessly. Furthermore I feel like the world is open to me. I rooted it, have wifi tether, installed custom rom's with better stuff, changed my radio, and upgraded to a Verizon PRL to roam on VZW network when I want for free. The 4.3 " screen is awesome streaming HD Youtube and I have found the touchscreen to be very good. Overall the performance is really snappy and I have found the UI to be very smooth and fun. I guess I like to tinker with tech a bit (from my teenage years) and it has been a blast learning it and customizing it.

Since I have an iPad I guess I am enjoying the open OS and the change of pace from apple. I am sure the iPhone 4 will be amazing, but for me I think I am sticking with the Evo or Droid X with VZW depending on which I like better when it comes out. I am gonna pre-order the iPhone and then play with it in the store before I make up my final decision

It is nice to have that as a phone and unlimited data to hook my iPad wifi up to on the road.

Just my 2 cents.

2. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

I will have no trouble returning my EVO and picking up an iPhone 4. This will be my first iPhone as I have had a Pre for the past year and 2 years of Blackberry prior to that.

Frankly, I am very disappointed in the EVO. It lags and yes, I use a task killer and it helps - but it is a PITA. It has crashed on me several times including during a phone call with a client. And the UI is just not polished or user friendly at all.

Examples? Why can't I clear a notification from the notifications bar? I can go to it or I can clear all. That stinks.

I can't see notifications while in the browser without pulling down the URL bar and then the notification bar. It should show me the notifications at the top when they come in (like the Pre).

Switching between open apps is impossible. No, seeing the past 6 apps opened is not the same thing at all.

Just navigating in general takes way too much effort. It is not easy to use and not easy to learn.

Why do I have two email applications - one for Gmail and one for all others? That is ridiculous. Integrate them like Palm, Blackberry and now Apple have done.

And the Evo is just too big. I like the screen real estate and I know it is a trade off but it is too big to hold comfortably for me and it is very heavy.

I am very ready to swap it for an iPhone 4

3. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

4. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

EVO is way too much headache. By far the best feature on EVO is the giant screen. That is the only part I will miss.

What I won't miss is the terrible battery life, no WiFI connection, light leak between screen + phone base, having to manually kill apps w/ a task manager so I don't drain my battery in 2 hours and an app store that is a barren desert compared to Apple.

EVO is on Ebay now, I won't miss it.

Also I won't miss the garbage 720p video. I don't know why nobody has picked up this story yet, but the EVO 720p video drops to 10 fps in low light. 720p10 is trash, it's a disgrace that they would ship that on a phone.

5. Goldielocks19 macrumors member

Goldielocks19

broke my iphone 3gs, cracked the poor babies screen, tried the evil EVO
    and i HATE IT!!!
    was worried i wouldnt love it so i never closed my AT&T acct, glad i didnt because i will be pre-ordering my IPHONE4 in the morning.
    i cant wait to return that big brick they call a phone....constantly getting errors, slower, not as smooth as the iphone OS, battery life blah, not as many good apps and the search button is in a bad place for smaller hands, constantly hitting it when i am typing.
    beautiful screen i must say and i do love sprint TV..but for me at least the call quality is below par..could just be that sprint lacks in coverage by me, lol in NY!
    buh bye EVO, honestly wont miss it, tried the android hype and apparently it isnt for me!

6. BigdaddyMBP thread starter macrumors newbie

Very weird... I have had none of the issues... no locks, no dropped calls, and smooth scrolling / app loading. I only have one email app and I use multiple email clients... they are all integrated. No light leakage either... there were two models released... If you go to about phone and hardware let me know if you have the 0002 or 0003.

7. shanew21 macrumors regular

Spent some good time with my friend's EVO the other day, and I was not impressed at all.

Seriously, it may have some better stuff under the hood than the iPhone, but the iPhone's build quality and just overall responsiveness makes it a no brainer over the EVO.

8. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

I went and got the evo today. My decision was based on the need to be able to tether my iPad in class. My algebra book is in the coursesmart app. My iPhone 3G barely gets a signal inside the building and the school's wifi is fairly weak. I played with the evo all day. Though I really liked it at first, it's not what I'm used to. Syncing music and videos through doubletwist is a pia. The more I want to like the evo, the more I'm leaning toward ordering the iPhone 4. Maybe the new antennas will get me rolling with mywi. Needless to say, this was a pretty wordy way to say the grass isn't always greener.

9. homerun360 macrumors newbie

I will be returning my Evo. I primarily bought it for the hotspot function to use with my iPad. The Sprint hotspot speeds are slow. I get between .20kbps-.30kbps on the iPad. My Evo usually gets 3 Mbps on 4G. I have no idea why the speed takes such a hit with the hotspot feature.