Going to take MBP to the Genius Bar. Need some quick tips.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hydrocity, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone.

I may take my MBP into the Apple Store this weekend because it tends to freeze/lockup frequently. The mouse is still active, and I can use expose and dashboard (although they open very slowly and glitchy). I have asked around here before and I personally thought this might be a RAM problem as I have upgraded to the GSkill 8GB. But people from this forum told me it was a hard drive problem.

Now these lockups are not easy to replicate as they are random. This is the first time going to the Genius Bar so I am not quite sure how the process works. Will they run a test on my computer to determine if I do really have a faulty component? Or do I have to replicate it in front of them?

I also have some torrents (yes I know :eek:). I have programs such as Photoshop downloaded. Should I remove these before I go?

Also, i want to bring my iPad in because I think it also has a fault. Do I need to book 2 appointments or will 1 be just fine?

Thanks for reading, and I hope I can get some help!

2. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

It'd be great if you could replicate the problem as that will let the genius diagnose it the easiest.

I wouldn't worry about the torrents at all.

Not entirely sure about the two appointments.

3. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Call your local store and ask!

4. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

But Im always on hold for like an hour!!!

I will if I dont get any answers from here.

5. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your help. But like I said, the problem occurs randomly. But I will try to figure out a set way to replicate it before the weekend.

6. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Just for reference, I once had a random problem with a MBA. I went to the Apple store and saw a genius and they said they couldn't do anything because they couldn't replicate it (and also had never heard of the issue) and made a note of it in my file. They told me if it happened again to stop in and hopefully the issue would repeat itself.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Try to cover all your bases to lower the chance of them telling you well you have to do this and that to test it. Here are some things you could do before booking an appointment:

1. Put your old RAM back (if you still have the original kit) and see if the freezing happens there.

2. Repair/fix permissions/disks.

3. Create a new user, see if it happens there too.

4. Run the Apple Hardware Test.

5. Make sure you're up to date with updates

Hopefully one of those things will give you an indication to what's wrong. If not, then at least you tried everything and the Genius is in better position to handle the problem instead of running other tests.

8. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help
    Thanks. I will try these.

9. akonikui macrumors regular

Definitely definitely definitely do the following:

1) Backup all of your data (via timemachine or otherwise) before coming into the appointment. If your mac has to be checked in for repair, they WILL ask if your data is backed up.

2) Backup the iPad as well by syncing it with iTunes. If they have to replace it, they WILL ask if you've done this recently.

3) Make two appointments. If there's enough availability, book the iPad appointment to be before your Mac appointment (with a buffer between them). iPad appointments rarely run too late, Mac ones sometimes do.

4) Evidence of the lock-up is good. If you can't duplicate it in store, photographic/video evidence is your next best shot.

5) Be polite and nice (seems obvious, but you'd be surprised).

Cheers and good luck!

10. HBOC macrumors 68020

they may ask you to leave the computer there for a few days so they can try to duplicate the problem. That is what happened when they replaced my first keyboard.

Also, you will need two appointments. The AppleStore i go to has a separate genius bar for iOS gadgets..ie; iPad, iPhone, iPod, etc.

11. iMackPro macrumors 6502

torrents are fine they cant do anything about it. what you choose to do over the internet you pay for is between you and your ISP, not apple! thank god =)

12. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tips. I will defiantly do these.

That sucks if they have to keep my computer. I guess my iPad will come in handy. Unless they keep that to...

I will book 2 appointments then. Thanks
    Thats good! Thanks