Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylanursula

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
All - I am going to the UK later this week but am still under contract (for 9 more months). Been an ATT customer for about 11 years but I keep getting refused an unlock through the automated process? Any help would be great.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Depending upon how long you'll be in the U.K. -- and if you are planning more international travel -- it might be worth it to pay off your contract. One that's done, AT&T will unlock your iPhone.

Or, it may be cheaper to just get one of the international roaming packages. Compare the cost. The days of affordable and easy third party unlocks is long gone.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Unfortunately this is ATT's policy. Unless you are in the armed services and moving, you are stuck either paying the ETF or paying for an unlock service.

Reactions: PNutts

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Last edited:

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I agree that the current locking policies are stupid, but if you buy an unlocked phone it won't be locke.
FCC should force all US carriers to unlock any phones not already unlocked. All phones from now on should be unlocked. The carriers have other alternatives to enforce contractual payments. Like shutting down the person's phone entirely if they don't pay. Or set collection agency on em.

Reactions: timeconsumer

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
FCC should force all US carriers to unlock any phones not already unlocked. All phones from now on should be unlocked. The carriers have other alternatives to enforce contractual payments. Like shutting down the person's phone entirely if they don't pay. Or set collection agency on em.
It's not a big deal. Pay off the phone. Buy only verizon models or buy sim free. If you really HAVE TO have an unlocked phone.....

Reactions: willmtaylor

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Unfortunately, they probably have more important issues at hand than locked phones.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I was lucky enough to get my old 4S unlocked back in the days when it cost just $1.99. I sold that phone a few years ago. All my phones have been unlocked by T-Mobile and my 6S+ is the sim free model.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
All - I am going to the UK later this week but am still under contract (for 9 more months). Been an ATT customer for about 11 years but I keep getting refused an unlock through the automated process? Any help would be great.

Follow the rules. The phone must be paid for... simple, direct, easy to understand.

Reactions: HEK

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
Sim locking should be illegal really, it's basically a method to extract money from people traveling overseas. If you already lock yourself into a contract - the carrier should not care what sim you put into the phone as long as you are making monthly payments

PocketRocketGQ

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
I would call up AT&T customer service and ask them to unlock it. I have had all my iPhones unlocked either in a 2 yr contract or the NEXT plan.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Sim locking should be illegal really, it's basically a method to extract money from people traveling overseas. If you already lock yourself into a contract - the carrier should not care what sim you put into the phone as long as you are making monthly payments

It's not like any of the carriers are hiding the fact that the phones are locked to their service. If it's that big of an issue, just but the unlocked version when you buy a phone. It's not that hard to understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.