Going to the US, want to special order a MBP at 5th avenue by calling or mailing them

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Anders1666, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Anders1666 macrumors newbie

Hello to all of you readers @ Mac rumors forums

My name is Anders and I'm from Norway. I'm a student who needs a new laptop after the summer break. And I've been a Windows user all my life and I going to convert to the Mac religion:apple:.

I'm going to New York and other states in the US as well this summer, and I'm going to buy a Macbook Pro with the best specs which you'll find on the Apple Store online when you buy a Mac. Since it’s a lot cheaper in the US than its here in Norway:mad:.

And what I’m wondering if it’s possible to call or mail Apple Store (5th Ave) to prepare a special order for my MBP with the best specs available at that time so it will be ready when I get to New York. And also is it possible to make them order a Norwegian keyboard layout and install it instead of the standard US keyboard layout?:D

Sincerely Anders M.:)

2. macjay macrumors 6502

Hi Anders,

How about calling the store directly and asking them?

Cheers.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

IIRC, BTO's are shipped to the customer only, and in-store units are just what are sent - RAM upgrades are all you'll get there. In other words, you can't get a BTO in-store.

BUT, you could see if you could order from Apple online with a delivery address of the 5th Ave. Store. I kinda doubt that'll fly, but it's definitely worth a shot.

4. f1 macrumors 6502

Sorry, Brick and Mortar Apple Stores will not special order any BTO computer for you. So the only way is to order it off the Norwegian online store and pay Norwegian prices. If you have an American credit card. You can order the computer from the American online store and have it shipped to your hotel...

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You will also get the American style keyboard...

I would advice you to buy the high-end MacBook Pro 15" at the time.

You can always add more ram later.

6. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Anders,

If you are trusting I might consider letting you have the computer delivered to my apartment in Manhattan, I live really close to the 5th ave store. For a small handling fee, say $75 USD? I ordered the same MBP myself, it's an amazing machine. Although I must say that if you get a defect (I had to ship mine back because of a faulty screen) you would be out of luck being back in Norway. In other words, having it shipped to the US would make your Applecare useless to you in Norway other than minor things you could have done at your local Apple store.

Best,

D~

7. Anders1666 thread starter macrumors newbie

If something should be wrong with the macbook pro, then the apple care program should work in Norway since its Worldwide warrenty?

8. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Yes the applecare will work .. its a worldwide warranty..

you should have look @ this to brush up on apple warranty info before you give wrong info ..

9. porg1969 macrumors newbie

Actually I placed an order with Apple and had it sent to the 5th ave. store without and problems; however, I am not sure if it's possible to order from another country. Good Luck, and let us know.......

10. Anders1666 thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't you think that should be possible if I place a deposit to their bank account? I don't really see why that should be a problem. They wont "lose" any money on it, since the price difference is only so high because of taxes and all that crap here in Norway:p But I will call apple store 5th ave later today=)

11. trickydicky macrumors newbie

buy in the US

Just to let you know I bought an iphone on the US apples store (with a card from Germany) . Just gave the delivery address of a workmate's mum in the states. They delivered without any hesitation and he bought it back with him. No questions were asked about the card not being from the US. Worked- but worrying in another way.....

12. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Im not saying the applecare would be void, Im just saying that if he needed to return the book to apple for a major repair, it needs to be sent back to apple from the address it was shipped to. At least that was my experience as the shipping label they gave me had my address. But if the problem could be take care of by a store employee he would be fine in NOrway. If he had to ship it back to me to send to apple for a repair he would lose the savings in shipping no?

Since its a BTO, any major work done to the machine would call for it to be sent in to the apple online store. They would in turn ship it to the original shipping address, not Norway, am I correct?

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    While the warranty (1 year) is worldwide, I'm less sure about the extended Applecare.

I bought an iPod while in the US recently and the Apple store employees told me that there was no point in buying the Apple Care for it there since although the warranty was worldwide, the Applecare was country-specific

14. Anders1666 thread starter macrumors newbie

well if so, then I can buy a mac in the US and buy Applecare back in norway?

15. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

yes i think so

16. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

no

a usa machine will neeed usa applecare

then the actual service is worldwide

17. moworks2 macrumors member

Anders...check the written literature and also ask before you buy to be sure of the policy...in 2002 I bought an ibook in the USA from smalldog and took it to france and bought applecare for it in france...at the time I was told that i would need to buy applecare in france if i wanted the ibook covered in france...that may have changed since then...

ps...you might also ask this question on the apple discussion forums...some good info there...