Going to Turkey...3G Ultrasn0w... a few questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mullet, Jul 1, 2009.

1. mullet macrumors regular

So I'm going on my honey moon to Turkey. I would like to bring my iPhone 3g unlocked with Ultrasn0w and I'm wondering what carrier I should use. Turkcell seems like it might be the best option. Also, what is the deal with registering my phone? I hear you have to register the phone when you enter Turkey or when you buy your prepaid card. Finally, do prepaid cards include data usage over Edge?

Hopefully, someone can answer this question.

Regards,
    mullet

2. sjdigital macrumors regular

As regards registering your phone, you will have about seven days before they cut you off, or so they say. Check out the web site of the Turkish Embassy in the US where you should find out exactly what the deal is. I was there for a couple of weeks in May and used my phone intermittently and didn't actually get cut off.

Can't help with advice on which carrier to use, though!

3. mullet thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. So I don't have to register the phone. Although it seems it might be a good idea to do so anyways to avoid problems. How long does it take the SIM card to be activated?

Also did you get any data added to your plan? If so, how did you purchase EDGE data?

TIA,
    Mullet

4. sjdigital macrumors regular

I really can't help you with anything to do with using Turkish sim cards. I just used my own UK one which could receive calls for free in Turkey and as I said, I was there for two weeks and my phone wasn't cut off. But from what my friends there told me before I went, you can simply buy a sim card and it's operational straightaway as it's the phone that needs to be registered not the sim card.