Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I AM SO NERVOUS. After weeks of being stuck on the last unit, I am finally up for the oral test and flight test to get my private pilots license. Here studying hoping I am studying the right materials and make sure I will be able to answer all the standards guy questions. I believe I will be able to do the flight easily, it is the oral I am so nervous about. What is going to kill me is the avionics and electrical system. This is worse then the SAT's/ACT's.

Did I say I was nervous?

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I don't remember being quizzed too badly on avionics/electronics on my PPL ride. Know the basics of how a VOR and ADF work, and know the basics of GPS (ie what RAIM is). You're taking a test to be certified as a VFR pilot so don't get too hung up on extraneous stuff. Most people get hung up on requirements for different airspaces (different equipment requirements and weather minimums) and aeromedical factors. If you study up you'll be fine.

As far as the actual flight portion goes, all I can say is remember to take a deep breath every once in a while. Relax and take your time on every maneuver because the stress of a checkride can bury you. Make sure you're trimmed and level before every maneuver. The examiner will probably throw some things at you that you weren't expecting, but he's just making sure you're cool under pressure and that you can apply good aeronautical decision making.

Always remember that the examiner won't mind if you take your time and stay level headed. Never feel pressured to rush. Good Luck, and let us know how it goes!

Little HZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
New Mexico
Good luck w/ that! I am envious--have been thinking about taking flying lessons, but can't quite make myself take the first step. Keep us posted!

wfoster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2009
Plymouth, UK
I'm only fourteen but it has been my dream to fly a plane. Damn, you are lucky. Whatever happens, we'll still love you! :p

Goodluck!

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
FUDGE! I got a hard standards pilot for my check oral tomorrow. ARGH!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
FUDGE! I got a hard standards pilot for my check oral tomorrow. ARGH!
Try not to let it bother you. Consider it a challenge. ;)

Just take it a step at a time and relax as much as possible.

As was mentioned above, for the hands on part, get the airplane level and trimmed before doing your maneuvers. The examiner knows that you are nervous. If you hose a maneuver, don't be afraid to say, hey I goofed that one up, let me try that again. And most of all, fly and be in control of the airplane.

As for the oral exam, think before you answer. A short pause is fine. Get your thoughts together before answering.

Good luck! :)

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
For me, the checkride turned out to be a lot easier than i had envisioned it to be. There's not too much in-depth on the electrical system beyond the basic principles. As for avionics, if you know how to work them (if you don't, your instructor needs to spend some time and teach you) it's no problem. A little trick, if there's one specific toy that the airplane has the you don't know how to use or want to use on the checkride (say, a loran), placard it as inoperative.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
For me, the checkride turned out to be a lot easier than i had envisioned it to be. There's not too much in-depth on the electrical system beyond the basic principles. As for avionics, if you know how to work them (if you don't, your instructor needs to spend some time and teach you) it's no problem. A little trick, if there's one specific toy that the airplane has the you don't know how to use or want to use on the checkride (say, a loran), placard it as inoperative.

Our planes have the G1000 glass cockpit so we need to know the ADC, GMA, AHRS, GIA, GDU, Transponder, Engine Airframe, and Magnetometer.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
Our planes have the G1000 glass cockpit so we need to know the ADC, GMA, AHRS, GIA, GDU, Transponder, Engine Airframe, and Magnetometer.

Nice! And I was impressed by the 530 in the 172 I took the ride in. I'm going to do my high-perf endorsement soon, and the 182 for it has the G1000. Should be fun!

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Good to hear.

Long oral? Weather?

Anyhow, the oral is usually the hardest part if memory serves.

Good luck! :)

Don't remind me of the weather. That almost failed me. UGH!

But, no here at ERAU the oral and flight is always separated. Guess it has to do with the spreading around of available resources and to let you rebuild your nerves. :)

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
Don't remind me of the weather. That almost failed me. UGH!

But, no here at ERAU the oral and flight is always separated. Guess it has to do with the spreading around of available resources and to let you rebuild your nerves. :)

What will you be taking up for your check ride?

mt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.