Gold iPhone Not On Display?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Purplepear, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Purplepear macrumors newbie

I ordered the AT&T 32 gb gold iPhone on Friday and I'm waiting for it to ship. In the meantime, I stopped into my local Apple and AT&T store to look at it but neither had any on display!

So odd.

Is anyone else seeing this in their local store?

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

3. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Yeah I've noticed that. My local Apple store has NO gold iPhones on display. Only white-silver and space gray. I don't think I've even seen a gold one in person yet. :( which is a bummer because that's the one I'm most interested in

4. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Maybe because they are currently out of stock and don't want them on display as a reminder for customers to put off buying an iPhone 5s until the gold version becomes more available?

5. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

6. Purplepear thread starter macrumors newbie

I did at the AT&T store and they just laughed and said they wouldn't have any for a long time. Apple store was too busy.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

My local Apple Store, which is fairly small, had 4 on display (along with 8 silvers and 8 space greys). Are you sure you didn't get it mixed up with the silver? I thought that when I first saw it, as they're very similar. I find that photos make it look more gold than it actually is.

8. billycuth macrumors 6502a

Probably because they only made like 10 of them (or so it seems..)...

9. schizbomb macrumors 6502

My Apple store pulled the yellow 5C because they had no stock of it. They had gold 5S on display though, so I don't know whether this indicates they still had gold or not. (I would assume not, so it's interesting they would tell me they had no yellow 5C because of stock, but still have the gold 5S out.)

10. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

My apple store had a couple on display, definitely easily confused with silver. It kind of looks like someone sweat stained the silver yellowish. Not my cup of tea personally.

11. 997.2 macrumors regular

What made ME mad was waiting at 3am for the 5s release, and seeing all the employees with their new GOLD 5s's, chilling, talking to us and saying that they 'haven't opened the 5s boxes yet and can't tell how many of each color they have.' At 7:45 I was informed that there were no remaining gold. What a waste of time and a fail on apple's part.

12. taedouni macrumors 65816

Apple probably sent most of their golds to china to milk money.

13. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Gold color on display in NYC Apple stores. If you can get in to see it

14. Spacial macrumors 6502

Many carriers policy is to display only what they have in stock or can order and obtain in a reasonable period of time. It's a very common retail policy.

15. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Ummmm yeah sure.

Not. Apple doesn't let employees buy the phones before the official launch time. Sometimes not even the whole launch weekend. And they wouldn't have them outside chilling with the line waving them around hue to security risks.

Nice try though

16. CEmajr macrumors 601

My Apple store has 2 Gold ones on display. Told the customers they had to take those 2 from the Day 1 shipment for display, leaving only 3 gold phones for purchase by customers.

17. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

This. I thought the same thing today. It's really very similar to the silver, and when they're in the docks on the table it's really hard to tell the difference. Had I known how non-gold the gold was, would have ordered it over the silver.

Unrelated, the space gray looks MUCH better in person than in the photos. Though I thought the same about the white/silver iPhone 5. They aluminum doesn't photograph well.

18. woodynorman macrumors 6502

I saw two employees at the Apple store in Glendale, AZ with grey 5s. I bet there were more that had them.

Meanwhile at the door they were turning people away because they were all out of 5s. Pretty lame IMO.

19. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Apple store I got my 5S had Gold on display in store on Fri Morning. As a Matter of fact they had 4 display phones and one on a giant gold pole in the window. And they didn't get ANY gold phones in stock on fri.

20. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Good point.. the fact that there isn't any and won't be for sometime maybe Apple doesn't want people that don't know about it to see it. They want to sell what they have in stock now, which is black ones..

21. dennisjr631 macrumors 6502

I just saw one at my local apple store.It looks so much better in the pictures. If you ordered one you might want to see it in person first. I would be pissed if I waited a month for one. The gold is pretty ugly once you see it up close.

22. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

Matter of personal opinion I suppose. I didn't like the gold iPhone AT ALL in any of Apple's promotional material. But then, I saw it in person and I was instantly smitten. It just looks so different from anything else that I own.

23. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I, personally wouldn't own a gold one...or a silver for that matter. But the one I saw in the store looked really nice. Much better than a thought it would.

24. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Yep, gold is much nicer in person than in the photos. Extremely subtle and classy.

25. Ann P macrumors 68020

Same here. At my local Apple store they are not on display either.