Gold sport/aluminium users - been happy with the colour choice?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Brenster, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Brenster macrumors 6502

Existing 38mm space grey sport user here. Bought in June last year and switched bands to the black nylon band a few months back due to sweat induced itching. I was planning on moving to the 42mm stainless steel with brown leather band this year, but with the UK pricing having gone up to £699 (as much as I paid for my 6s 128GB last year!), I'm backing away from that decision.

I'm now deciding between the 42mm silver aluminium and buying a separate leather strap (£550 total), or to go with the 42mm gold toasted coffee/caramel nylon band.

Have any existing gold users found the colour limiting if you've wanted to change the bands? How has living with the matte gold colour for a length of time been?

2. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I've since traded up to the 42SS (and will again to the AWs2 either in SS or ceramic...) but prior to that I had the gold sport with the midnight blue band. I really liked that combo a lot. However, it was definitely limiting with any non-sport bands as - to my knowledge - no 3rd party band connectors or whatever they're called have come out in the same gold aluminum finish, so you either get shiny gold (ugh) or SS which clashed to my eyes. You're mostly limited to the sport bands. Apple doesn't make many (any?) bands made to mate with the gold sport.

3. Gentsuperman macrumors newbie

Gentsuperman

Wonder if I buy IPhone 7 128gb and AW2 42mm Gold they will swap band to colour I want if I'm giving them over 1000. Gold options are limited would prefer Black or White band.

4. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

I got a 42mm Rose Gold Sport right after they came out. Band selection has been very limited, as even the sport bands have non-matching pin (if that matters to you). I even tried a pricey aftermarket one, but the adapters just don't match.

I will keep it as a backup, but I am hoping to get a Hermes AW2 (or AW3, if I can hold out that long).

5. maconut, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

maconut macrumors member

I just ordered some third party watch band adapters from eBay labeled as stainless steel gold for the new series two I ordered in sport gold. In the 16 months I've been wearing my silver sport every day, I've found that no one looks that closely, and I'm expecting that level of yellow to yellow to be good enough, rather than reusing the silver colored adapters I have now. I also ordered a couple of 22 mm watch bands to go with the new watch, even though my current cheap ones are holding up pretty well.

I've had different colored watch bands with gold colored watches in the past with no problems.

So, I didn't answer your question really but I look forward to liking my gold colored sport model soon.

6. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

I bought the gold sport when it first came out because I loved the color, but over the months I found it difficult to find sport bands that looked good with it. I love the navy blue band but wanted something different and picked up the black sport band. Sadly the driving force for me is the color of the pin. The thing should match the watch case. Picky, I know :( Other than the navy blue, nothing else comes with a gold pin. The black band has a black pin and looks great but I just can't bring myself to buy a band with a silver pin which all of them have. Weird OCD mental thing or something. At any rate, next watch I get will be the "classic" silver with white sport band. Just about any band goes well with it, at least I think so.

7. funnyboy88 macrumors regular

I'm happy. I think the silver sport is uggo and looks like a toy. The space gray sport is nice, but I think the gold sport looks a lot cooler. I think if you want to go crazy with a lot of bands, it isn't the best option because of the clash with the adapters. But I'm happy because I think the Gold sport with the midnight band is the best looking affordable Apple Watch choice.

8. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

I am exactly the same way about the pin.

9. broadbean macrumors 6502a

Very disappointed Apple didn't make extra pin colours, even as an online option only.