Gold / White iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bjb.butler, Sep 21, 2013.

1. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I think it's extremely sad and pathetic seeing how society has programmed people into thinking Gold & White are somehow "feminine" colors. It absolutely makes no sense. Are Gold Rolex watches feminine too? And I guess your gold wedding band isn't masculine either. I mean c'mon, it's laughable.

I'm a male and if I had an upgrade I'd be getting the Gold or White iPhone. I'm looking forward to the iPhone 6, however.

Also, I can't believe how many people WANTED a Gold/White iPhone, yet settled for a grey.. You've been waiting for a new phone for. 1+ years, and you couldn't wait ~2wks to get the color you actually wanted? That makes nonsense to me. Have you no patience?
    /endrant

2. Matt8045 macrumors regular

It's funny how 3 weeks ago when gold rumors started everyone hated it. Then when shortages became evident everyone wanted it. Stupid hipsters

3. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Honestly, who cares what people think. I'm a dude, I have purple hair and don't care anyone thinks about that.

I will buy any color phone I want. If I want pink, I'll do it.

Just IMO

4. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

5. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I have a white & silver iPhone 4S and I'm holding out for a white & gold iPhone 5S.

I happen to be a young male, and I don't associate color with gender or sexuality.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Why are you worried about enough to make this post?

Just curious!

7. Stoodo macrumors member

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think its society, but rather a handful of people seemed to tie color to gender.

In the Real World, its not that big of deal but it seems to be here in the intarwebs. I've seen my share of men who had white iPhones. They didn't seem to care, nor did I.

I've also seen just about every colored case under the sun, and again the gender of the person mattered not.

My point is that if someone is having an issue, they're in the minority. Get the phone you want, whether its gold, white, hot pink It doesn't matter because most people don't even look at what phone you're holding at this point (and 9 times out of 10, you'll have a case on it)

9. mashinhead macrumors 68020

This. It isn't society, it's seems like more of a generational thing to me. I bet young people don't think twice about it and neither should you OP. Sounds more like you feel insecure than anything else. Just get what you want and don't think twice about what other people think about you. It's a color. Thats it. NBD.

10. madKIR macrumors 6502

WOW So much hatred!
    C'mon, light up!

Did you see it in person?

I did yesterday and was blown away by how subtle and nice it is!

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If I were to upgrade I'd prefer the gold. It looks nice as it's a light gold and not a bright gold.

12. Robster3 macrumors 68000

It's rare to see a Man over 30 with a white iPhone. Mainly women and girls or guys under 25 from my limited amount of noticeability.

Gold is different as men have gold wedding rings and watches.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. While I don't care for either the white or gold iPhone, I wouldn't call them girly.

14. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Can't believe lack of silver / gold supply. I am a male and been rocking white iOS devices for awhile.

2 of the Apple stores in the metro Atlanta area only had 6 or less of the silver and gold colors! Are you kidding me!

I have a silver one on order but will be a few weeks ... I won't settle for that crappy space color!

15. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I love my gold! I'm looking forward to the iPhone 6 too...
    People just want what is in demand and hard to get... has nothing to do with being 'hipsters' or even liking whatever it is that is hard to get, in this case gold color, it is just the fact that you have what everyone covets (for now).

16. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

I ordered 2 gold phones. There's a reason why Saudis wear white and gold. It keeps things cool and resistant to overheats.

17. terrywfoster macrumors regular

18. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Black is beautiful

19. ski2moro macrumors 6502

Just remember that people of so many different ages are posting here.

I think that adults buy what they want.

I believe that teenagers' purchases are influenced by their friends. Remember how hard it was to be a teenager, choosing your things by peer pressure? You had to have the 'right' shoes and the 'right' jeans and now the 'right' phone.

And there are the people who never grow out of this need to please others. They have to drive the 'right' car and live in the 'right' neighborhood and send their kids to the 'right' schools.

You will never change them. You will never understand them. Let them be.

20. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

I don't think it was so much that everybody wanted and bought it, i think it was the fact that they had less Gold stocked than the other colors

21. MMM.PWR, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

Men also wear silver watches and wedding bands. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, in case you didn't know, both Gold and Silver are white iPhones.

I have a white car, a white road bike, a white iPad, why not a white iPhone?

This topic is as ridiculous as it gets. Anyway, I'm anxiously awaiting my new feminine silver 5s. I had slate last time around, time to change it up.

22. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

Is gold really that much MORE popular or does the scarcity in production just make it seem that way? Personally I saw the gold in store and that's what I'll be waiting for. Patiently, sort of

23. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I honestly haven't seen anyone mention it being feminine except you on this forum.

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Silver/white is girly? Then why can't we get women to watch all those Star Wars movies with Stormtroopers wearing the same color uniforms?

25. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Maybe you better get a white watch too:rolleyes: