Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
I was wondering if my friends makes webpages in Dreamweaver MX 2004 (PC) and I am making pages with GoLive on a (Mac) will the pages post together on the same site? (subdomains...)
Thanks in advance for any insights or help.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
efoto said:
I was wondering if my friends makes webpages in Dreamweaver MX 2004 (PC) and I am making pages with GoLive on a (Mac) will the pages post together on the same site? (subdomains...)
Thanks in advance for any insights or help.

Both programs output html, xhtml, css and javaScript. Neither program makes a proprietary file. You will be fine working between the two.

You may notice some differences in the way each application handless the different web languages. Example, GoLive might write a javaScript roll over that Dreamweaver classifies as a custom script and thus not easily modifiable unless you know a little javaScript. Dreamweaver, by repetition, tends to write cleaner mark up then GoLive, although I have not used the most recent version of GoLive... Adobe may have cleaned up their act.

The most important thing to remember is that when you deal with different WYSIWYG builders, knowing a little javaScript and html, xhtml and css will become important when debugging (if issues arise).

Oops, I reread your comment and it sounds like you will not be editing their files at all, just linking... you will be fine, no problems there. Just make sure that they are addressing the page correctly Dreamweaver, by default, annoyingly creates .hml extensions vs the more popular .html.. stupid Macromedia.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Well thanks for the input. I was just looking to be able to post sites from both programs under the same domain. My friend (using Dreamweaver) will probably just get a subdomain or two under my site and he can run with those. We wanted to co-develop the homepage but we can just do that in person off of one system I guess to make things easier.
Thanks for the input, always appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.