Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flasash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
I've been using the 6 all weekend but just could not get on with it. I just don't like the feel of it. It's too thin to pick up easily from a table with one hand. It can't be easily used with one hand. I dropped it twice, it's not as easy to grip. It is too large in my jeans pocket.

I've gone back to my 5S and I have to say when apply designed this they really got it right. Perfect size and shape. Feels solid, robust and great in the hand. It looks better IMO.

I swear if the 5 had come after the 6 people would be raving about it.

Is the 5 likely to be updated with the latest hardware?

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I've been using the 6 all weekend but just could not get on with it. I just don't like the feel of it. It's too thin to pick up easily from a table with one hand. It can't be easily used with one hand. I dropped it twice, it's not as easy to grip. It is too large in my jeans pocket.

I've gone back to my 5S and I have to say when apply designed this they really got it right. Perfect size and shape. Feels solid, robust and great in the hand. It looks better IMO.

Nope. There's no reason to think they will make a 4" phone again.

catean

Suspended
Jun 16, 2013
London, UK
I am sure they will align a 4 incher to the current design when the battery technology will allow it. I have the same opinion as the OP, the phone is too big and too slippery, but I will keep it until they release a smaller one with VoLTE, Carrier aggregation and Apple Pay.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
What did you think of the quality of the screen display vs your 5s? I was at the local mall yesterday and tried out display models at an AT&T store and an Apple Store. I was surprised to note the display on my 5s seemed sharper, clearer, crisper. I suppose that's because they're the same ppi, but the pixels are more condensed on the 5s screen? Is that how it works?

Even though I'm a very petite woman I was able to fit the Plus easily into my baggy mom/work LL Bean jeans. (I hated wearing those to a nice mall, though, because they do make my butt look big and dumpy, :rolleyes: but wanted to do the pocket test with clothes I wear a lot around the kids and dog and outdoors). There is no way either model would fit any of my fashionable jeans pockets, but neither does my 5s. The 4s was the last IPhone that could do that.

They fit into some shorts pockets I'm sure. That's the Plus I'm talking about! I thought the 6 was a tiny little thing. At first glance I thought the Plus was the regular 6. I was expecting the 2001 Space Odyssey monolith after the way people were carrying on about the size of it. But it seems a reasonable size.

It seems a lot of your concerns could be solved with a thin but grippy case. However there's not much to be done about it being the wrong dimensions for your pocket. Sorry it didn't work out for you. I hope that won't happen to me, too.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
5S is too small and would of ruined apple if they would of continued with the path of tiny phones. iPhone 6 and 6 plus are the ideal size phones.

catean

Suspended
Jun 16, 2013
London, UK
5S is too small and would of ruined apple if they would of continued with the path of tiny phones. iPhone 6 and 6 plus are the ideal size phones.

That is not true for everybody. They should continue having a 4 inch phone or they will lose a lot of their customers. A lot of business customers will go back to blackberry.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
That is not true for everybody. They should continue having a 4 inch phone or they will lose a lot of their customers. A lot of business customers will go back to blackberry.

Did you say Blackberry????? Hahahahahs

You obviously have no clue on the market.

jojo345

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
I am considering going back to a 5S from the 6 I got on launch day. Not only was I lied to twice by the same man from the retail store, but I didn't get what was promised to me. Kind of left a sour taste in my mouth for the whole damn thing.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
I am considering going back to a 5S from the 6 I got on launch day. Not only was I lied to twice by the same man from the retail store, but I didn't get what was promised to me. Kind of left a sour taste in my mouth for the whole damn thing.

I guarantee you won't..

catean

Suspended
Jun 16, 2013
London, UK
I am considering going back to a 5S from the 6 I got on launch day.

I am disappointed too, but I really hope Apple will not forget us next year. The 4, 5/5S design has been far more practical and original than any other phone on the market. Now with the 6...we just blend in.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA

What did they promise you?

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

My wife is tiny so her jeans are small, and making the pockets small. Her iPhone 6 still fits....

You post was was ok until I read that. If it was a 6 plus, maybe.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
What did you think of the quality of the screen display vs your 5s? I was at the local mall yesterday and tried out display models at an AT&T store and an Apple Store. I was surprised to note the display on my 5s seemed sharper, clearer, crisper. I suppose that's because they're the same ppi, but the pixels are more condensed on the 5s screen? Is that how it works?

No, that is not how it works. The two have the same ppi but the 6 has more pixels in order to achieve that. I other words if you take a 1 inch square area on the screen both phones would have the exact same number of pixels in it. I see a noticeable improvement from the iPhone 5s and the 6. And even greater improvement to the 6 plus.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013

I can understand what you're saying, but the blackberry comment killed it... I doubt anyone that leaves Apple will go it Apple... Plus what are they getting at Blackberry... The Passport

joeptp

macrumors regular
May 13, 2014
Austin, TX
I feel the same OP, but I am going to give my iPhone 6 at least 2 weeks to see if I can adjust. I mentally can't go back because I like to have the latest gadget, so I really hope I can adjust.

I really do like how the 4 and 5 feel in the hand, I think it was the best design so far, and second nature when using them in my hand.

iPhone6 is slippery, I know there are cases, but I like my iPhones without cases, and never use cases.

Last night as I was driving and using GPS, I wanted to end the route and reaching my thumb over, phone slipped from my hands. :(

While I understand the need for bigger phones as there is a very large demand for it, I wish the iPhone6 was no large than 4.5in.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
They don't need a new 4" phone. Apple can simply keep making the 5s. Maybe the next one will be the 5ss or 5s2. Point is, they already have a complete lineup.

4" iPhone 5s
4.7" iPhone 6
5.5" iPhone 6+

All. Bases. Covered.

Spontida

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
I think I might my return my 6 as well. It's way too big. Hopefully they might upgrade the 5s or make an iPhone 6c with 4"

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
No, that is not how it works. The two have the same ppi but the 6 has more pixels in order to achieve that. I other words if you take a 1 inch square area on the screen both phones would have the exact same number of pixels in it. I see a noticeable improvement from the iPhone 5s and the 6. And even greater improvement to the 6 plus.

Oh, thanks for explaining it to me! I wonder what accounted for the difference in display sharpness then. I compared home screens and Evernote displays and a few other app displays. The 6 was by no means fuzzy. Just a little bit less crisp than my 5s and husband's 5s.

The new phones are indeed very slippery and hard to grip. I know I'll have to use a case as I'm butterfingered when I use the phone as a camera.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
They don't need a new 4" phone. Apple can simply keep making the 5s. Maybe the next one will be the 5ss or 5s2. Point is, they already have a complete lineup.

4" iPhone 5s
4.7" iPhone 6
5.5" iPhone 6+

All. Bases. Covered.
I think the OP and others meant that they wonder if the 4" phones will be updated to include the newer features the 6 series offers like Apple Pay, as well as corresponding improvements to the focusing system of the camera.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I think the OP and others meant that they wonder if the 4" phones will be updated to include the newer features the 6 series offers like Apple Pay, as well as corresponding improvements to the focusing system of the camera.

I doubt they'll update the hardware significantly. The 5s is becoming the 5c "low end option" and while it might get a processor speed bump in future models, I don't see much development happening on the 5s. No NFC, etc. But the 5s will run iOS 8 and will probably run the next two major versions of iOS as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.