Gone back to my iphone 4 from the 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gearoidol, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Gearoidol macrumors newbie

got the new 4s on friday and without a 3g off switch its useless to me.
    At home i have 1 bar of 3g which is enough to hold the phone on 3g but it wont make or take calls."It just works" me arse.
    Will give it a untill xmas and if apple have not released an update or if the jailbreak isnt out ill move to android.

very dissapointed

2. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

3. Lukus macrumors member

4. stevebubble macrumors member

Do you have wifi at home?

Turn off 3G and use wifi for internet and you will get better call reception as the phone will be using Edge/GPRS instead of a weak 3G connection.

Yeah its a pain but it's what I have to do too. And i think it's worth the trouble to have a great phone.

EDIT SORRY REALISED SOME NETWORKS WONT LET YOU TURN OFF 3G

5. Lukus macrumors member

Can't turn 3G off on the 4S.

6. stevebubble macrumors member

Beat me to my edit. Sorry I forgot you can't do that but can in the UK.

7. Lukus macrumors member

I'm in the UK and I can't (O2)

8. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Hold on, let me call Obama. He'll wanna hear this.

9. Gearoidol thread starter macrumors newbie

im just stating its a great phone with one huge flaw which needs to be addressed.I'm self employed and every call i miss while my phone is "Searching for signal" while deciding between 3g and edge is costing me money.Apple are getting a little too ahead of themselves .The ability to turn off 3g is on every phone thats uses 2g/3g in the world

10. smacman macrumors 6502

Don't hold it that way..

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

OP this is a terrible thing that Apple has done. I simply cannot believe they would put this much work into a phone over time and then senselessly rip a well known and widely used feature from our hands. I feel as though I had a newborn baby ripped from my hands, I am truly gutted. Times like this make me wonder why I even bother. I don't want to alarm anyone but not being able to switch off 3G service has made me feel like doomsday is approaching, quickly. I feel as though this is just one more step towards total annihilation and I cannot seem to shake the feeling. Do you ever get that feeling? It is this battle that lives within me. I have to make a call and I know 3G isn't great in my area but I cannot make it nor can I dictate on a phone that I own outright how I will make the call. It doesn't matter where I am, the control is being ripped from me. The ability to choose is being ripped from me. FFS, I'd have an easier time selling my soul to the devil than I would turning off 3G. Why did they take this away from us? Why did I upgrade my device? Why is it that I am being stuck with this phone that is not a POS, per se, but it is more like another window looking into the future showing me that Apple will continue to take control from me one feature at a time. Why is turning off 3G a feature? Why isn't it just how it is? Why is it something that Apple just decided needed to go? Why does it even matter to them? How in the world did this affect them and the carriers who support the iPhone? Does it even? There are so many questions that are running through my head. I call around to various carriers, I ask Apple and still, no answers. No glimmer of hope that we may some day understand. No evidence that we can turn this feature on and off. No way of telling if I will have to jailbreak my phone to get this lousy feature back. I don't want to jailbreak. Sure, it's a whole new world and it was awesome when I did it but in the end why would I have to hack a phone just for a couple of "features" that Apple decided to do away with? Is Apple looking out for us? I don't know, I can't tell. I feel lost and alone. I feel like you made the best decision possible and if someone doesn't understand why you would come here and tell people what decision you make then F them. F them up the butt hole because you have a right. A right to blog, a right to tweet, a right to update your facebook status, and a right to make a video rant about it and post it on YouTube. You have a right and people have a right to support you. Let people support you, let them hold your hands and keep you calm. Godspeed Gearoidol, Godspeed.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

WWDC 2012 they will give it back to you and everyone will stand up and cheer like they just found the cure for AIDS.

13. thaghost macrumors 6502

I guess I am alone in saying I haven't had any problems with the phone itself. Service for me, has actually been better. The only complaint I have is with iOS5 constantly crashing apps. Sorry about your luck OP.

14. billnye97 macrumors regular

Where in the heck do you live that you don't have 3G?

15. wratran macrumors regular

I went back to the 4 from the 4S....
    Siri was very disappointing...other than that...there wasnt much of an upgrade.

I dont do a lot of gaming to notice the difference in the dual core A5

16. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

I think the 3G toggle was taken off cause CDMA networks don't work like gsm so turning off 3G on CDMA just turn all mobile data off, I think they should just let 3G off tho

17. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

OP: Use WiFi at home and turn Cellular Data off. This will give you a better Cell signal strength and then you receive all your data through WiFi. The only downfall to this is if you get a lot of MMS messages that aren't iMessage-based. You'll still be able to receive calls and SMS/iMessages. Plus, with the EDGE/3G radios turned off, you'll get better battery life.

----------

Once activated on a GSM network though, the service provider is generally responsible for turning certain features on or off. Now, this could entirely be a software bug with Apple, or a service bug/restriction with your GSM provider. Since it spans multiple networks and countries, however, I conclude that it's more likely to be an IPSW bug that will likely be fixed within the next 5.x.x update.

18. nfl46 macrumors 603

Yes, I hate this feature on the 4S! When I first got my 4S, I thought it was a software issue until I came on the boards and the option to turn off 3G was missing for others also.

smh @ AT&T!

19. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

See my post above yours.

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Might not be out in the sticks. I drive through a pretty developed neighborhood on my way home from my office and there is a block where my signals drops to E then o. We're talking NW of Chicago, not Willacoochee, Georgia.

21. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I'm guessing you're one of those "glass is half empty" people ... ?

22. rkahl macrumors 65816

23. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I'm curious on this.

The OP clearly states that his 3G signal is not good at all where he lives. Then he goes on to say that its the iPhone 4S fault for not giving him an option to turn off 3G and then sarcastically states "it just works" to insinuate that his iPhone 4S does not.

What confuses me, is the original problem seems to be his weak signal. Has the OP contacted his carrier and complained that "it doesn't work"?

Seems to me he's taking out his frustrations from having poor carrier signal and blaming the phone for it.

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You could:

A. Call to AT&T and bitch about your coverage, which will get you no where. But its always good to make them aware of it.

B. Switch off 3G when you need to and prevent your phone from repeatedly bouncing between edge and 3G, making it difficult to send and receive calls. He's annoyed that his 4 gives him this option, the 4s it was taken away.

25. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

If you are having trouble with reception in your house, a micro cell is available. AT&T gave me a free one last year when the iPhone 4 launched. You have nothing to lose by asking them for a free one.