gonna do some upgrading..heres what i got and a couple questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sk8r1230, Aug 5, 2010.

1. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

ok guys i know im going with owc's 8 gig ram upgrade. my next question is hd. im thinking 7200 would be nice but im unsure if a larger improvement would be noticed over my stock apple 5400. i know ssd is the way to go but for the space i need they are just to expensive. if i do go with the 7200 its going to be between the seagate momentus or the western scorpio black. anyone have any opinions on either. good battery life, cool operation, and a quiet machine are huge for me so i dont want to get stuck with a hd that takes away from any of these. thanks in advance!!

2. circularforward macrumors 6502

Momentus XT or Momentus 7200.4? For most uses if you use the same apps daily, the XT will be faster. If you're comparing the traditional hdds, go with the Black.

3. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I have had many Momentus 7200.4's and I am always really impressed. The Momentus XT is the newer drive out of the two but for me there are too many mixed reviews about the XT. If I were to upgrade right now I would go for the 7200.4.

4. sk8r1230 thread starter macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

so i take it there would be a legitimate upgrade in speed with the 7200. and for those who have them and heat/sound increases? keep the opinions coming guys

5. sk8r1230 thread starter macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

I have had good luck with the Seagate Momentus and the Hitachi 500GB HDs, both are very quiet and fast, with very little vibration in mt 15" MBP. The Hitachi runs a little cooler, but only by about 2 degrees C.
    Had a terrible time with the WD Scorpio Blue, constant beachballs, etc.
    No opinion on the WD Black, but I have heard it can be louder, with more vibration than some HDs.
    If I had to buy an HD now I wuld be sorely tempted to try the SSD/HD combo Momentus XT. (all of the above is personal opion only, no scientific data)
    :cool:

7. DaftMonk macrumors member

DaftMonk

I'm in the same situation as you, and after a fair amount of research I ordered the Hitachi Travelstar 7K500. The criteria you listed were my top priorities as well, and this drive has gotten a lot of good reviews for them.

8. circularforward macrumors 6502

I upgraded my 2009 macbook from the stock 5400 toshiba to the 7k500. I immediately noticed a big difference in bootup and app startup. From most reviews, the 7k500 is a better real-world performer than the 7200.4 and is a great value.

9. Despicable macrumors newbie

Have u considered a SSD. A friend just put a vertex 2 (it has sandstrom interface) and his laptop boots in about 15-20 seconds and apps open way faster.

Just a suggestion.
    D