Gonzales to resign

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Aug 27, 2007.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Oh, so soon? :rolleyes:

2. Queso macrumors G4

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I would have liked to see congress give him an old-fashioned ass whoopin, but I'll take what I can get :D

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Remember this the next time someone in this forum says the Democrats haven't accomplished anything. Gonzo would still be there if it weren't for the pressure from the left side of the aisle.

OTOH, I fear this was done solely so that the administration could put "closure" onto the fired-attorney scandal and get out of the predicament of defying Congressional subpoenas and contempt charges.

Don't know that that's a given, though.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Looks like Chertoff. :confused:

And the Office of Management and Budget guy might be the next Homeland Security Director?

I am brimming with confidence in them. :rolleyes:

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Oh great, the gut feeling guy? Cronyism is back :rolleyes:

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I would like Hatch (I can't even tell the difference between these GOP senators, sorry for the wrong name previously), Sen. from Utah. not that I like him, just like a vacancy in senate...

I know it probably won't happen tho.:)

9. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Cannot get too excited by a Mormon conservative, thank you. Let's hope for a moderate with considerable experience in the job - not a politician.

10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Either it will be someone inside the administration or someone stupid enough to think that joining this administration is a good move for their political career. Either way, not too impressive.

11. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

How about a district attorney?

any attorney?

someone familiar with the law?

a judge maybe?

a crony with only politics on their mind...typical.

12. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

One of the last of the Bushistas bites the dust. The only question is why it took so long. The confirmation fight over his replacement is bound to be interesting.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Gonzo was a discrace, what kind of man ignores so many our own laws?? Lets the President do anything he wants and hides his face while we are invaded by millions of illegals. Scumbag ,its just sad he wont take his presidente' and his Dick with him. Its a dark time for America when these political stooges are screwing with our constitution and ignoring so many laws, and getting us into a needless war. Solution dont vote republican for at least a decade maybe two.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Never has the phrase "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out" seemed so appropriate. :eek:

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The San Francisco Chronicle was saying that it might be safer to let the second in command at Justice to remain as acting AG. Probably wouldn't be a bad move for bushco. A bruising fight in the senate is not going to help him at this point in time.

I just hope that Alberto in the end, gets everything he so richly deserves.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I wonder if Bush will attempt a recess appointment for this position. If not, than the confirmation hearings will indeed be interesting.

Bush obviously will not want anyone not intensely loyal to him. Democrats (hopefully) will oppose anyone in that mold. Should be very fun to watch.

18. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Loyalty is one thing. It's the conviction of the office that i think doomed Gonzo. W thinks the justice department is the president's personal legal services dept (so have a few others) and his appointees buy into it.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's just what I was thinking. Pretty much the only thing he can do at this point, since otherwise it would be a perfect opportunity for Dems to appear tough on Bush and the Repubs to at least create some distance from him. Unless Bush can find someone who isn't completely objectionable, but I still see him trying.

Chertoff would be an incredibly ballsy choice, but I can totally see Bush trying it.

That's the problem we have with it. Bush's idea of loyalty is cronyism, often at the expense of competence. And more than happy to put partisan politics above all else. Anyone who thinks Mr. Geneva Convention Is Quaint/I Can't Recall (those I fired because they weren't going after our political opponents, so we could hire more cronies to replace them to obstruct justice, even if they didn't know anything about the law) was doing a good job is fooling themselves.

Waiting for some of those who do to chime in, wondering how they'll spin it, knowing they really have nothing to defend it other than pulling a Bush and saying it's all partisan politics... oh irony.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

With regards to the kinds of people Bush surrounds himself with:

Anybody remember a line from Sports Night? Robert Guillaume (rest his soul) once offered a great piece of management advice: "If you're not too smart, surround yourself with smart people. And if you are smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

Which of course is antithetical to the Bush policy of encircling himself with yes men and with people even dumber and less experienced than he is. And if they have industry connections, all the better. Sure explains a lot.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That would be nice as long as it is in that order, and not Bush going first.

22. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I was thinking back through the last several Attorney Generals we have had. I liked Eliot Richardson. However, a very funny image passed through my mind; Gonzales in bondage, and Janet Reno applying the whips.

"Alberto you have been a bad AG". :mad:

"Yes, Janet I have. I need to be punished". :eek:

:D

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Hm, kinda surprised no one chimed in to defend poor Al. Guess he really doesn't have too many friends left. The joke has been that while the Dems are cheering, the Repubs are quietly sighing in relief.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Okay, how about this: Go, Al, go!

See, it worked! :)