Good book on the USA propping up dictatorships?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by P-Worm, Aug 7, 2012.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

A couple of nights ago, my wife and I were watching Bowling for Columbine and there's a section in the movie about how the USA has propped up foreign countries/dictators that later came back to become our intense enemies. For instance, the movie names a time when the US gave money to Al Qaeda and Osama Bin Laden before he became Mr. Evil.

Is there a book on this subject where I could learn more? I've been doing a search and haven't really come up with anything.

P-Worm

2. RedCroissant Suspended

I haven't been able to find one single book about these events, but you can look to other sites regarding the following nations if you like: Iran, Iraq, Russia..that should get you started. That of course is a very short list, but the reading and the history is not short at all.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The Shock Doctrine has a good smackling of our involvement in Latin America as well as others.

4. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Oh, I have been meaning to read that one. I am downloading it from Audible right now. Thanks.

P-Worm

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I've found that books tend to be comprehended just a bit more fully when read, but are still great to listen to as well. I'd recommend getting a copy from the library, its that important a book.

But alas, back to listening to my copy of A People's History of The United States ;):p

6. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time for reading, but I have time to listen to books while I ride my bike to and from school. I just finished Krugman's End This Depression Now that way and loved it.

P-Worm

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I've been meaning to get into some of Krugman's work, unfortunately it seems my queue is always vastly larger than my free time! :eek:

8. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Look up Confessions of an Economic Hitman or The Secret History of the American Empire by John Perkins.

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

10. 184550 Guest

You might find 'Overthrow' by Stephen Kinzer of interest.

Your mention of bin Laden and Afghanistan reminded me 'Ghost Wars' by Steve Coll. This book is actually on the recommended reading list for those considering taking the civil service exam to work for the State Department. Though I read it a number of years ago in high school, I remember it being an interesting read. Well worth ones time.