Good-bye Minimum Wage, Hello Serfdom

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CaptMurdock, Jul 15, 2011.

1. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Republican seek 'reform' of minimum wage and overtime law:

We all know "reform" is Republican-speke for "repeal." Like your forty-hour work week? Like being able to feed your family on what you bring home? May as well kiss that good-bye if the GOP gets anymore power next year.

2. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

How close to the bottom can you guys in the US go? In Australia the minimum wage is just over $500 for a 40 (or is 38) hour week, and we supposedly have the best performing economy in the world, albeit with the aid of our mining industries.

It is just plain stupidity to take money out of the pockets of the people who spend it.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Ohhh i get it now, the GOP is intentionally trying to kill their party. You know what we should do? We should go to blue collar conservative areas where people make minimum wage and tell them the republicans want to get rid of it. We'll see how quickly the political map changes in this country. If anyone can't see what these people truly stand for by now, they must be blind and deaf, Helen Keller style.

4. Ravaroo macrumors 6502

Ravaroo

Well, in my state, minimum wage is 7.25 (and has been for past 2 years) that's a whopping $290 before taxes if you work 40 hours. Serfdom would be an apt analogy

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

Yep, someone working two full-time minimum-wage jobs (16 hours a day, five days a week, no time off) would make $30,000 a year before taxes.

That's slightly more than one minimum-wage job in Australia.

But we're the best. Yup.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

This is really scary. But I do believe that it signals the last throes of the Republican party.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If reform meant raising the federal minimum wage then I'd be all for it. Of course that's too much to hope for with the current batch of republicans. At least on the bright side if they get it through the few people who still have decent paying jobs will be able to buy their made in America Macs.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Any repeal should be linked to CEO salaries without exception, cap it and stop golden parachutes and link a CEO pay with all the workers. Ceo pay have grown by leaps and bounds and the workers pay has stagnated or decreased when adjusted for inflation. REFORM CEO PAY is what we need.

9. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

How much would you raise it? At what point might it do more harm than good?

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'd say it should be tied to inflation and be updated at least once a year. For the starting point when they are drafting a new law they should calculate what the average cost of living is in the US, and base it on that. Once the minimum wage is set at a point where you can survive on it tie it to inflation so the purchasing power of minimum wage workers stays the same.

11. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

y'all do realize that serfs didn't actually work that much right?

A day goes dawn to sunset, they eat breakfast, lunch, an afternoon nap and dinner. Depending on the time and place they also got midmorning and mid-afternoon refreshment breaks. These were rights to the serfs, they even were guaranteed them during the harvest season. During slack periods (much of the year) adherence to the workday wasn't really followed. Y'know how serfs had to work an atrocious two days for their lord? One days-work was a half day, and you could finish two days-work in a day. On top of that serfs got long vacations at Christmas and Easter, along with the Embertides and all those saint's days and rest days. The saint's days would have been spent in sober church going and the rest of days would have been spent as merriment. On top of that there were numerous other days which got celebrated, like bride ales or wake ales. England for example got a third of the year off, and they worked the hardest of their neighbours. In the ancien règime they were guaranteed fifty-two Sundays, ninety rest days, and thirty-eight holidays, in Spain they got like five months. Then during periods of high wages they instead worked by the day and not the year so they only worked as hard as they need to to get their customary income, so they only worked like 1,440 hours a year.

tl;dr we already work harder than serfs

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

**** these mother ****ers. this country needs a revolution or something. these guys are rolling in money, and are so ****ing greedy that they want to take even more of it from hard working americans. i bust my ass to barely even make ends meet, and these clowns want to change that? unless they are raising the wage, they should go **** themselves.

Stupidity is the mission of the republican party. For example, electing a movie star to be president.

Yeah, it's crazy. Most people can't even make ends meet. I'm only 23, don't have children to support, don't have a mortgage, but I still can barely do it. $290 a week before tax.. so we'll call it $250 after tax. That's $1000 a month.

Rent: $450/mo
    Utilities: ~$100/mo
    Food & Supplies: ~$200/mo (conservative estimate)
    Phone: ~$60/mo
    Car Payment: $200/mo
    Insurance: $150/mo
    Gasoline: $150/mo

That's $1310 right there. And that's like BARE BONES living expenses. For a single 23 year old guy. I'm not taking in to account stuff like clothing, any entertainment or "fun" money, or even my STUDENT LOANS. Realistically, I need to make at LEAST $2000 a month to lead a normal lifestyle and not be racking up the debt. This assumes being able to pay those loans, have a little bit each month for clothes/other expenses, a little for fun, and a little to go in the savings account for unforeseen circumstances (what if my car breaks down?).

Minimum wage should be at least $14 an hour now. The costs of EVERYTHING have skyrocketed, but minimum wages have stayed the same for too long.

These guys are ****ing nuts. Our country is in deep **** if this stuff continues.

13. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

But what if we have high unemployment, and a worker is willing to work for a little less than minimum wage and an employer is willing to hire him at that wage? Sometimes the employer has to suck it up and pay up to the minimum wage because he needs an employee but sometimes an employer might be able to forgo hiring another employee because it isnt worth the added cost.

14. bizzle macrumors 6502a

I am all for fair wages for all people but raising the minimum wage does nothing but raise prices. I remember when it went up in NJ and basically overnight every place that has minimum wage workers raised their prices.

If prices just go up, it's hurting all workers because their salary will not increase at the same rate as prices raise and corporations will make even higher record profits because the increases in prices will be higher than the increase in salaries for their workers.

The common person loses in the end.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well if you don't do that then you will have a problem of underemployment and a lot of people working but not able to pay all of their bills. Also the problem is that if you don't have a minimum wage and you have high unemployment it doesn't matter what the employee is willing to work for, the employer can always find someone willing to work for less and it leads to evemore problems.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

But prices have been going up constantly over the past 2 decades while minimum wage has barely changed. Ten years ago, I remember my mom getting gas for 89 cents a gallon. Minimum wage then was 5.35. Now we are paying 3.50+ a gallon for gas, and minimum wage is only 7.25.

That's a 393% increase in the price of gas while minimum wage only changed by 135%. Thats a MAJOR difference.

The prices have been going up for years and minimum wage has lagged behind. And if we leave minimum where it is, prices will still continue to go up. This is because of inflation. So you need to suck it up and just raise the wage. Maybe they should put in some kind of regulations where businesses can't just raise prices because they have raised wages? I don't know.. it's a catch 22 basically. The whole situation is ****ed.

17. itcheroni, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

itcheroni macrumors 6502a

I don't think there's anyone who would work for 1 cent an hour. I don't have an answer to somehow employ everyone who wants to work at a wage that is high enough to pay all their bills. My point is only that if you legislate a higher minimum wage, you give up some employment because a few employers would rather forgo the extra help than pay more.

18. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Well, let's see: We have 14 million acknowledged to be out of work, and the government's running out of money for unemployment compensation.

So: Which is better, some money per hour, or no money at all?

The minimum wage law is just one of the reasons that young folks in their mid- to late-teens have such high unemployment rates. The wage rate is higher than for many untrained people to be profitable to an employer.

Another aspect of the law as law: How is it that I can be told to either demand a certain amount per hour or refrain from working at all? The reason for my pricing doesn't matter. Why am I not free to work for half the minimum wage if I so choose?

19. bizzle macrumors 6502a

That's my point.. even with increases in wages the cost of living goes up even higher than the increase in wages. I wasn't saying I was against raising minimum wage, just that in the end it really makes no difference.

20. CaptMurdock thread starter macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Good question; here's another one. Which is better: being dead, or having your testicles scraped raw with a rusty grapefruit spoon, then having them Krazy-Glued to the back of a Greyhound bus?

Point: Either-or questions are simple. Life isn't. Let's see if we can find another alternative, shall we?

You're really going to make me drag this out again...?

[​IMG]

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Which is why minimum wage should be tied to inflation so as cost of living goes up so do wages. Also it wouldn't hurt to have some sort of regulation of prices for things that are essential like food, housing, and gas prices.

22. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

OR you could do away with minimum wage and rely on unions for fair compensation, like in Denmark or Sweden.

Nah, that wouldn't work thanks to the Republican rhetoric.

[​IMG]

France has a 9 EUR minimum wage, about $13.

23. Oneness macrumors regular

If only we can also see the last throes of the Democratic Party then we could bury both and everyone could have a real party.;)

24. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

'Rat, I used to think that half the time you were just taking the piss. that lasted until Obama was elected and your true nature was reflected in your vicious attacks on him. I don't doubt you have smarts, some you were born with and some you learned, but I really have a hard time understanding the inconsistencies in your statements.

In the past you've acknowledged that income inequality is a serious problem in the US. (I looked for the exact post but it's a ways back and I couldn't find it.)

So, what's the reason for that? Are 'Mericuns getting stupider? I sort of doubt it.

Personally, I believe that just like during the Gilded Age when the US government couldn't bend over far enough to serve the interests of the robber barons, we've also in an era where corporate interests are dictating foreign and domestic policies and the average American is getting the shaft.

The pendulum has swung too far and Reagan along with his buddy Nixon, is responsible for bankrupting the country. Common sense like the Founding Fathers practiced was tossed out the window in favor of avuncular Hollywood rhetoric.

You reaped a lot of benefits from Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy and Johnson. However, it seems that you're not interested in acknowledging those benefits much less taking responsibility for them.

Those on the right are quick to trumpet their rights, but rarely their responsibilities.

I'm disappointed in you 'Rat.

25. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's exactly what the US needs, more unions. lulz