Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

jm31828

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I love the way Apply displays look, but can't afford the crazy high price for one. I have an ancient cruddy monitor I've been using that is dying. So, I am looking for a good replacement that would look at least in the neighborhood as the apple display for color and clarity. I want 24 inch or smaller.
I have read great reviews on the Dell Ultrasharp U2415 that is 1920x1200 led with an adjustable stand for $283. It is an IPS panel. Anybody know if this would be a good "poor man's" Apple display alternative? Or are there any others in this price range that you would recommend?

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
I love the way Apply displays look, but can't afford the crazy high price for one. I have an ancient cruddy monitor I've been using that is dying. So, I am looking for a good replacement that would look at least in the neighborhood as the apple display for color and clarity. I want 24 inch or smaller.
I have read great reviews on the Dell Ultrasharp U2415 that is 1920x1200 led with an adjustable stand for $283. It is an IPS panel. Anybody know if this would be a good "poor man's" Apple display alternative? Or are there any others in this price range that you would recommend?

I have a 3 year old 24" BenQ GL2450 monitor which has been a real performer! Look-it-up on the Amazon or Newegg Websites.

Comment

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
Comment

Not-A-Fan

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2015
Europe

Dell are offering a 25" 1440p at the same price point, seems like a far better deal to me.

Comment

frank4

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Running a pair of Dell S2340L here, I like them a lot. If you watch for a sale these are sometimes half the price of a similar size U series. No anti-reflection surface so they work best where there are no bright light reflections. I think the S2340L gives a better image than the 1920x1080 display on recent 21.5" iMacs, they have more adjustments such as sharpness and RGB levels.

Comment

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
...I have read great reviews on the Dell Ultrasharp U2415 that is 1920x1200 led with an adjustable stand for $283. It is an IPS panel. Anybody know if this would be a good "poor man's" Apple display alternative?...
It is good, but not overwhelming. It is much better than expected and is not suitable, if you watch a lot of dark movies (IPS glow). The U2415 uses a very modern display. Hint: Make sure that the distance between you and the display is large enough, otherwise you will see the single pixels. The default settings are too bright and need ColorSync (hardware/software) calibration for OS X 10.9+. I did not test my U2415 with El Capitan regarding 30-Bit support. I read the Intel IGP supports 30-bit color with the appropriate drivers (Windows 7+).

Comment

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe
I would stay away from anything 1920 x 1080. A much better resolution is 1920 x 1200, and can be had for under $200. Those extra lines of vertical space don't seem like much on paper, but make a huge difference when working with documents or excel.

I got this one, which works very well for me, which is $185 from Amazon Warehouse Deals.

Comment

jm31828

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I would stay away from anything 1920 x 1080. A much better resolution is 1920 x 1200, and can be had for under $200. Those extra lines of vertical space don't seem like much on paper, but make a huge difference when working with documents or excel.

I got this one, which works very well for me, which is $185 from Amazon Warehouse Deals.

Yeah, the Dell Ultrasharp U2415 that I am looking at is 1920x1200, and it appears to have very good color accuracy- and the bonus I like about it over some of these others mentioned is the fully adjustable stand (being able to raise the screen up and down). And I don't think I want to go any larger than 24"- my eyes are sensitive to light and any bigger than that, even with the brightness turned down I feel like I'm staring directly into the sun. :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.