Good Cop Speaks Out Against Drug War, Blows Whistle on Chief — So Now He’s Being Fired Read more at

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

2. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Drug addiction is an illness, not a law enforcement issue.

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

drug addiction is a high profit business on both sides.

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I don't entirely agree, but I don't disagree.

There are two major categories of drug users in my mind, recreational users and addicts. I think the two have to be addressed differently. If you pull someone over with marijuana, chances are they're not a marijuana addict.

For anyone who knows anything about addiction, consequences alone don't tend to inspire to get better. To some degree they make people more miserable, take more and more from people's lives (jobs, careers, productive futures), and ultimately perpetuate the the cycle of using.

I would love to see a world where rather than locking people up, fining them, etc people were offered a way out of addiction by means of treatment. Unless you have money it's difficult to get quality, uninterrupted treatment.

It's a complex issue though. Addiction does not happen in a vacuum. Many people with addictions resort to stealing and other crimes to support themselves. Alcoholism especially, DUI's are tremendously dangerous. Many addicts don't recognize their own addictions and/or don't want help. In order to get better, all the treatment in the world won't make a difference if the individual doesn't want to be sober. Long term success rates are very slim.

There are not many addicts who enjoy being addicts, but most are so beaten down they literally cannot fathom life without their substance. For them it's a means of survival. It's like telling any of us normal people we can never eat anything again.

I don't think sending people through the legal system is the answer. Meanwhile I don't support the legalization of any and all drugs. I'm not for recreational marijuana- I think there's a lot of potential issues (many of which have not been accounted for) but don't see it as the end of the world. "Recreationali-zing" hard drugs (heroin, cocaine, meth, etc and Schedule II's (most Rx painkillers) I think would have disastrous effects.

The best way I think to slow the addiction rate in our country are preventing new cases. Education (not just drug education but normal edu), improving living conditions of the poor, making behavioral health accessible to those who cannot afford it (and those who can but fear the stigma of therapy). I can't tell you how many young patients from affluent families I've met who have said "had I gone to therapy in high school I probably never would have turned to drugs".

The number one commonality I see in most addicts is the delusion that they have no future. We shouldn't be perpetuating that idea.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

A lot of addicts don't abuse illegal drugs but prescriptions from family. So the war on drugs won't solve the "cabinet abuse".

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Fair point, granted, unless Grandma had cancer and never took an OxyContin chances are the supply will not be enough for prolonged use. Medicine cabinets tend to be gateway more than a reliable source. Many estabalished addicts could easily go through a 10-30 day script in just a couple days.

Senior citizens on a fixed income are a huge source of street pharmaceuticals though. As are deadbeat pill mill docs and pharmacies. Thankfully most states have finally put the kibash on that scheme.

7. jerwin macrumors 68000

I suspect that Trump wholeheartedly supports the drug war.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/03/politics/trump-duterte-phone-call/

On the other hand, Duterte may be lying his ass off-- I suppose we all must get used to that sort of relationship with the truth.

8. Gutwrench macrumors 68000

Gutwrench

Good grief. There's something wrong with that guy and way more to this story.

If he has a beef with his department's performance stats then fine. If he can't stomach his admin then change departments. But I'm guessing his untouchable attitude and whiny ass has burned bridges over the years that effectively destroyed his ability to ever lateral out. No other department will touch him.

9. SusanK macrumors 68000

Interesting statement. Are you able to expand on this? Thanks.

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Old people are more likely to get pain killers given their increased likelihood of severe illness and perceived trustworthiness. For some reason I find a lot of senior citizens do not enjoy the effects of such drugs. Especially looking back a few years ago before prescribing laws and guidelines were more strict, people could easily get a lot of drugs. I know there was a stat out a couple years saying 1/3 of Medicare recipients on painkillers were prescribed pk's by multiple doctors (which is problematic in many ways).

They might get their scripts filled and never take much if any of the medication. Old people have a tendency to get the prescriptions but hold onto them (Great Depression hoarding syndrome?). If they get some Oxy for $10 through Medicare and some guy offers them $100 or even $150 for drugs with a street value of perhaps thousands (usually about $1/mg)... That might be a lot of money to them if they're on social security or a meager pension- in other words supplemental income (food, more important medication, etc). Or may improve the lifestyle they're used to. Some senior citizens have been recruited in drug making and such due to the unlikelihood of them getting caught (kinda like the movie "Holy Rollers" with the Orthodox Jews- which is based on a true story). Some are conned by their drug nativity to believing they are helping someone by selling (or giving) their drugs.

A sizable amount of the Hillbilly Heroin arrests (OxyContin in Appalachia where the epidemic is said to gave started) were actually senior citizens. But this has been a fairly widespread issue.

Alternatively they hoard their drugs and one day their curious or addicted child or grandchild comes along or some hired worker comes around the house and finds them. There are actually robbers who target the homes of elderly in search of drugs.

I would say old folks have a decent but little chunk of responsibility in getting prescription drugs diverted to the streets. I'm not sure what the stats are- but it's unlikely there is an accurate figure though. It's probably primarily opiate painkillers. Obviously ADHD stimulants are more likely to come from college kids or sketchy parents. Benzos are universally pretty easy to acquire. etc. Hard drugs (coke, heroin, meth, etc) not so much... but I did meet a nearly 90 year old heroin dealer once in my hospitals detox...

11. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I'm 82. Every visit to any doctor, these last ten years, have had raised eyebrows from the staff when I tell them that there are no regular-use drugs prescribed for me. My situation is apparently seen as unusual. So maybe that's a left-handed verification of A.Goldberg's comment.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That's really awesome. I wish I could say the same about my dad.