Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoIrish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2019
I have been using my wife's 2015 13" Macbook Pro and I really like it. She doesn't like to share so I found the below iMac for sale and thought it looked like a winner. Only thing keeping me from jumping up and down is the Fusion drive. I use a maxed out Surface Pro right now and I don't want to see a drop off in performance. I have a 512 ssd in the Surface but I'm only using 74g right now. I use external drives to keep all of my work (Graphic Designer) on. I feel like if I don't love it there is still a little meat on the bone if I want to sell it down the road. Thoughts?

3.8 GHz I5
40 GB DDR4
2.12 Fusion Drive
30 Months left of Apple Care
$1500.00

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
The 2TB and 3TB Fusion Drives have 128 GB SSDs installed. You can defuse those drives and use the SSD for the operating system and your most important applications. Given that you are only using 74 GB right now you should be fine.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
Personally I wouldn’t be buying no iMac at the moment unless your desperate. New ones shouldn’t be that far off hopefully and more than a spec bump full SSD i9 6 cores etc.
Even then the 2017 should be cheaper in the refurb store

GoIrish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2019
Personally I wouldn’t be buying no iMac at the moment unless your desperate. New ones shouldn’t be that far off hopefully and more than a spec bump full SSD i9 6 cores etc.
Even then the 2017 should be cheaper in the refurb store

I was planning on waiting however I thought this was a pretty good deal. That computer with tax and apple care would be $2200 at best.

Also in waiting the computer that you're talking about would be $3200 plus.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
I was planning on waiting however I thought this was a pretty good deal. That computer with tax and apple care would be $2200 at best.

Also in waiting the computer that you're talking about would be $3200 plus.
True but how much would a 2017 be in refurb store wants the new ones are released

For me 2200 is a lot of money for 2 year old tech when a new model is round the corner. Still be a mint iMac thou if it suits your needs

GoIrish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2019
Not that cheap.

If it suits grab it as it is only six months old with 30 months AppleCare.

Can you let me know where you're seeing good deals on iMacs? I haven't found anything close to $1500 for a 2017 iMac. Thank you for your help, I just don't want to be missing something obvious.

Plan-B

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2018
Portland, OR
Don't let the naysayers dissuade you. I actually agree that it's a decent deal, assuming it's the 27" model. RAM has gotten crazy pricey in the last year. The extra 32GB in this one alone is worth $220-$250 depending on vendor. DRAMeXchange is projecting price drops this year, which would put memory pricing to where it should have been a year ago. As suggested, fission that fusion and run the OS and apps on the SSD, then use the platter drive for general file storage.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
For me 2200 is a lot of money for 2 year old tech when a new model is round the corner.
Impressive! You must surely have insider information. How else would you know that a new iMac is "just around the corner" ;)

In all seriousness though: folks around here have been telling people to wait for the better part of a year now, because "a new iMac 2018 is surely just around the corner". That $1,500 deal is pretty good if it's the 27" 5K 2017 model. Regardless of whether or not Apple is going to release a new iMac this year it is definitely going to be much more expensive than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BluefinTuna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.