Good deal or not? white macbook core duo 2.0 ghz with applecare for $999

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bsolomonny, Apr 9, 2007.

1. bsolomonny macrumors regular

Hi All,
    I want to help my brother save a few bucks if possible on a macbook. I found this deal from a university near by.

Brand new MacBook WHITE, 13" screen, Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHZ, 512 megabytes RAM, 60 gigabyte (5400 rpm) hard drive, SuperDrive, AirPort Extreme, BlueTooth, Mac OX X Tiger, 3 year AppleCare warranty. Includes a FREE Canon MP160 All-in-Printer All for 999 after tax.

What do you think? I know he will have to upgrade to at least 1 gb of ram so that should bring the price up to 1040. I have a core duo blackbook and think its the best computer imaginable. Any thought?

2. vniow macrumors G4

Yes. ****ing hell, just go for it. Even refurbs aren't that cheap and they certainly don't come with Applecare.

3. 05elstonc macrumors regular

05elstonc

4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Get it for him and after he gets it, he should install software updates to be more secure. I always install software updates after a reinstall or a new mac.

5. Shotgun Pete macrumors regular

take it and run that is an amazing deal, those canon printers are great and applecare is expensive on its own, even with university pricing.

6. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Just make sure it's a legit and not stolen afterwards ;) You can check (but not confirm) using something like Coconut Identity.

But yeah it's a great deal. Make sure you get a receipt and registration number for the AppleCare too and ask how many years of the 3 years is left.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Do you mean it comes with an Airport Extreme base station (ie: a wireless router), or do you mean it has wireless capabilities? If it comes with the wireless router, then it's a fantastic deal.

If it doesn't, then it's still a good deal because of the AppleCare, but it's not the deal I thought it was when I originally read it.

8. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

Yes it is legit, i bought one for my girlfriend a few months a go there. No base station, just a computer, and the printer. thanks for your input. My brother was just concerned about not getting the core 2 macbook.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

The core 2 duos really don't offer that much in the way of upgrades over the core duos. More RAM and HD, but you can up that yourself if you want. And of course the newer processor, but that's not a difference most users are going to notice. Given that it's brand new with applecare and a printer, I'd definitely go for it. Really great deal.

10. iBecks macrumors 6502

Damn!!

Why aren't there any good deals like that in the UK.

11. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

He ordered the computer last night (my time, i am in Taiwan)

Thanks for all your advice. I was pretty sure it was a great deal but wanted a consensus of opinions to make my brother more confident with his purchase. He ordered the computer last night and i feel my work is done. No wait now he wants me to help him upgrade the ram....You know the guy has degrees from Harvard and Yale but relies on me half way around the world to handle his computer purchases. Thanks again to everyone for their input. I love the global Mac community :)

12. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

Man, it's deals like this that make me want to enroll in a couple classes next semester! Alas, I don't think there are many deals to be had in Portland since there are so many :apple: users....

13. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I agree that's a fairly good deal, but I don't know why you guys are flipping out over it. Am I missing something? That model alone (White CD 2.0) is $899 from the refurb store (so whoever said they weren't as cheap from refurb needs to check their facts). Throw in AppleCare and you'll be a little over this price, so like I said this is a pretty good deal but nothing astronomical. You can always get Applecare cheaper from eBay later on anyway.

14. bsolomonny thread starter macrumors regular

Don't forget that price was after taxes and shipping and it was a brand new machine. My brother was very happy about the printer as well. I am not sure why, i hate ink jets.