good external 20" monitor for new MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lars666, Jan 25, 2009.

1. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Hi everybody,

hope you're all well - I have a question: Can anybody recommend a good (and nice looking) 20" monitor for my brand new MacBook Pro? I'd love to get an Apple Cinema Display, but as the new 24" LED unfortunately is too big for me and the 20" ones weren't updated for ages, I'd like to get your opinion if there are good other monitors out there. Or should I wait until a refresh of the rest of the Cinema Display line? I'm willing to spend up to 600 dollars if neccessary and really a visible difference to cheaper ones. And will I have limitation with a 3-party monitor in comparison to the Apple ones? I probably won't be able to find a third-party monitor which powers my MacBook Pro like the Cinema Display does, will I? Are there at least monitors with USB ports out there like the Cinema Display does? Questions over questions ... Would be nice if you could help me out. Thanks a million in advance and have a nice Sunday!!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The Apple Cinema display is the only display right now that will power your MBP.

You did not state whether or not you want glossy or matte. I would recommend a BenQ 22" (yes it is slightly larger but it is a great display). I would recommend the Dell 20", the HP w2007 as well as the HP L2045w.

The 20" ACD should not be falling to the wayside due to lack of updates. The 20" is a performer but the chief complaint is lack of ports. I find this absurd, but I am not under the thumb of needing both a display for my game consoles, my TV viewing, and my computer. I have a TV to take care of the games and TV viewing. If you can find a 20" at a good price I'd recommend it as it is still a stellar display.

If you wish to wait for a refresh of ACDs you best be prepared for the 20" to go glossy, if it is updated and not discontinued completely. If you want glossy then that should be no worry to you.

3. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi jessica,

thanks for your fast answer, really appreciated. I'm a glossy fan so I have no problem with these babys, I even prefer them. I'd really like to get the refreshed version of the 20" Apple Cinema Display, but unfortunately, I need the monitor quite soon and as far as I know there's no indication when it will be released. I'm afraid 22" is too big. I know it's only 2 inches, but 20" already is the maxmium as I'm sitting quite near in front of the computer. 20" still is perfectly okay, but I would prefer it wasn't any bigger ...

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I believe that the 20" Cinema Display will be discontinued instead of updated, but that's just me.

It makes some sense.

5. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You could be correct, Skil, although I do hope not. I'll have a look right now if there are places where you get one of those 20" Cinema Displays cheap - a VERY good price could justify to me to buy it, but I don't have high hopes ... I guess this old model won't even power my MacBook Pro, will it?

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Or work with it at all, unless you get the adapter you need.

You'll be able to use the FireWire ports on it only if you also buy a FireWire 400-800 adapter.

7. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, that sucks. Already forgot about this, heard about this adapter thing because of the new mini Display port ... Man, this will become a tough decision. Hopefully I won't end buying the new 24" Apple Cinema Display nevertheless although it is too big for my taste - I'd love to have the Magsafe etc. possibilties of the new one ... Damn Apple, give me a refreshed 20" one!! Not everybody has such a long table at work/home!

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you have made the above statement that you don't want a 20" ACD (current model available) because of the lack of updates then I don't believe you will ever fully appreciate the higher end panel the Apple LED 24" has inside. However, it is your money and I'm not one to tell someone what to do with their money.

I would certainly look into buying the Dell, HP, or BenQ. I did get a second 20" ACD and would have kept my $350 had I not already had the 30" ACD and some weird obsession with the 20" needing to match the 30". In the end I paid for it because I'm certain the 22" BenQ or the 24" BenQ that I've seen in action would have been great. Though, like you 20" is what I needed/wanted for the purpose intended.

My thoughts are that Apple should offer something in the 20" range simply because 30" is too large for many, 24" is nice mid-range, but sometimes 20" is a great edition/extension to a 13-15" notebook screen.

9. PDE macrumors 68020

Who cares if it gets update soon? If you want a high quality 20" the ACD is great, especially if you can find it cheaply somewhere. Remember that most cheap displays have cheap panels too - so poor viewing angles, changes in color and hue across the display and just generally not as high quality as the Apple one.

I have a 22" lenovo L220x - great high resolution, wide gamut display that is affordable and has few faults except for some corner bleed in pitch black settings that I wish it didn't have. There aren't many great displays in the 20" range so if I were you I'd still go for the Apple and not care if it gets an update soon.

10. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll have to think about it, but yeah - mabye I'll really search for a good price for the 20" ACD. Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

11. eron macrumors 6502

Dell 2007wfp and 2007fp are fantastic. They are either SIPS or PVA panels.

12. Hydroxs macrumors regular

I would go on ebay and get a dell 2005fpw or 2007wfp since they are both S-IPS and will give you the best color reproduction.