Good Fences Make Good Neighbors?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Here we go again:State Rep. Wants to Excise Cook County

Which, to me, translates to "We don't like you much, we don't feel inclined to try to get along at all, get away from us". This resembles the proposal to divide California along political lines that appeared briefly this past summer.

Do these people just have a hair up some sensitive place? Or is there a real need to find a way to address issues that they feel are being ignored? Personally, I believe that real democracy should not have winners, everybody should be somewhat disgruntled with the outcomes. The system someway needs to be fixed so that dissatisfaction is perceived to be equitably distributed.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

In some ways I see their point. As someone from a rural area you can travel 2 hours and have a completely different culture and laws/taxes enacted with the city in focus. I'd have a loaded rifle in my car back home, here in a big city that would be insane.

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Inequity of representation is common in America. Southern Maine has completely different needs from Northern Maine yet the South controls everything. You can find these disparities everywhere.

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

The reason people from rural areas are so conservative is because they're uneducated. Their world revolves around their bible and their gun. Maybe people in the city are so much more liberal is because they're actually exposed to different kinds of people and more than likely college educated. You can't just divide every state/county/city by political beliefs. And is it entirely necessary to keep a loaded rifle in your car?

----------

That's a change! :p

5. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

I really think this is not entirely fair. There are more than a few educated right-wing types, and probably a comparable number of left-wing doofuses.

This, I believe, is the crux of the problem. We are encouraged to stand on one side of the line or the other. Most of us are all over the map, but we tend to feel compelled to characterize each other as L or R out of habit, often based on the first thing we hear. That is little more than a way to shut down dialog and make us just shout at each other.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

WTF? No way! They live in this state, they deal with the people in this state. We will not be excised. They can go straight to hell. Without Chicago, this state would completely suck.

7. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Good to see liberals still have a stranglehold on stereotyping, and this was even a two-for-one. Must be a Black Friday Special.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The rural folk haven't quite figured out that guns are to be used to shoot other people like the city dwellers have. Them uneducated ones are still using them to shoot game animals.

The fact that you don't understand why you might carry a rifle in a car is exactly the reason people want to separate from liberal views. They live in a world where you can leave your house door unlocked all day and night and not even be at the house without a worry. In the city if you don't chain your hat to your head someone will swipe it.

Also you should be careful not to sweep everyone in rural areas under the same rug. About.90% of my graduating high school class went on to university.

9. ender land macrumors 6502a

Does that education teach you to make broad, inaccurate statements and stereotype people you clearly know nothing about?

I'm sure there are people like your stereotype. There are on both extremes.

But in general, as someone who's lived in both the boondocks (rural ND in a town of like 600) to cities (minneapolis area), if I ever needed help with something I'd rather ask an "uneducated" person in the rural area almost all the time.

It's clear you have literally no idea what you are talking about. But at least you're educated, huh?

;)

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The world must be ending, I halfway agree with Kavika, although not his phrasing. But seriously, likemyorbs, that post was very stereotyped and offensive. And hey, sorry to mess up your stereotype, but I'm from a rural area, and religious, however I'm generally liberal, there may be a few exceptions, and I am educated. I also have friends who are from rural areas, conservative, and educated, and not all of them are religious. So guess what, we aren't all the same like you seem to think.

11. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I'd just like to point out that Zombie Acorn is from the USA, so 'back home' probably means there; cause you're not supposed to do that in Canada... anywhere (well the law might turn a blind eye to it if you live in polar bear country, but that's about it).

The whole thing about building a wall for such reasons seems to say that it's too difficult to reach a consensus or compromise so instead they'll just isolate themselves in their own ideals.

Walls keep you in as much as they keep others out.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

And how many of that group returned after college.
    Since most of them do not return the original statement holds true.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Typically they work for a few years in the city and come back when they are ready to raise kids. I don't personally plan to go back, but Im definitely thinking about buying some land in a rural area in Canada. Being elderly in downtown Toronto would suck.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Wow. Build another fence ?

Next thing ya know all those people from the rural areas will be crossing over to get better jobs.

/sarcasm

15. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

That feeling and desire (to split) goes back as far as the U.S. Civil War...... :)

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Further actually. Rhode Island and Providence colonies were founded in order to get away from the nutjobs in Massachusetts colony.

17. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

The "original statement" still needs citation. You sound both confident, and capable.

Thanks.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I agree and I've mentioned it here many times. People seem increasingly more interested in a kind of Identify Friendly or Foe thinking such that our rhetorical life represents a chess board more than a map of ideas.

We get drawn into these stereotypes and they're remarkable unhelpful, regardless of which side does it.