GOOD GOD! 4 Terabytes of flash storage in a single drive.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MRxROBOT, Jul 12, 2016.

1. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

There just really isn't any competition for Samsung in the SSD sector yet is there? I wonder how it will perform without the SATA bottleneck on a PCIe board. For those that can't be bothered to read the article, Samsung was able to achieve this by rolling out 48-layer 256Gbit TLC 3D NAND chips. A lot of exciting stuff happing in flash storage as of late.

[​IMG]

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10481/the-samsung-850-evo-4tb-ssd-review

2. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Read it has a $1500 price tag on it right now.

3. mildocjr macrumors 65816

If only they would drop the price more in line with thumb drive storage.

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Yeah but you can probably get it on sale for $1449 soon.

5. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

Drool. Price Tag? Yeah, I won't be able to buy it for many... many years. :(

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Actually given how much storage this is, that price tag isn't too bad. Holy smokes though!

7. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

At some point SSD drives will come down to the point of replacing traditional hard drives. Still, I have sticker shock at the 4tb drive right now, but who knows, in 5 years 4tb might be a minimum SSD starting point for $100 or so.

I think the traditional 2.5 HDD form factor will give way to something more compact too. Look at all the wasted space in that picture of the internal of the drive. I can see why Apple is switching to a "blade" style solid state drive for some of their computers. (Unfortunately for upgrades, they are also just putting the bare chips on the motherboard in some models as well.)

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Given the very rapid way that memory sticks came down in price, while increasing volume of storage - I remember when they cost a fortune - I would not be surprised to see this become a lot more affordable in another year or so.

9. Tech198 macrumors G4

That's one expensive flash storage ? I wouldn't wanna be even thinking of doing secure erases on this. i don't mind on cheaper flash storage like Apple's.. I can't seem to wear it out no matter how many secure writes i try.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

While the prices will eventually be on par with what platter drives are, we won't see that until computers stop shipping with traditional platter HDDs. While Apple has shifted their whole lineup to SSD storage, they still sell that lone MBP with a 5400 RPM drive. If you walk into a Best Buy, some of the laptops and desktops still use the platter HDD.

Taking a look at the Samsung EVO 850, the price dropped a bit but is still selling for over $200 CAD.

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Those were the days! Remember reading through the really big computer book called "Computer Shopper" I believe. Loved looking through it and dreaming! Eight megs of ram! Holy smokes that is a ton!!!!!!! haha

12. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Funny thing about that 4TB drive, is that it is only meant to be overwritten 75 times, which isn't really a lot.

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Heh, oh yes, I sure remember browsing through Computer Shopper!

14. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

well, my first pc (386) had (has) 80mb harddisk :p and we were making jokes about terabytes then... and now there are small chips having those terabytes.

15. Tech198 macrumors G4

I still do :)

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Wow. Memories.

I remember reading this sort of stuff on train journeys in the mid 90s, and dreaming about a laptop (at the time I had a desktop, the only desktop I have ever owned) with 120MB - or even 200MB - as an impossible and out-of-reach - and utterly unaffordable - ideal.

Yes, I remember that too.

My first computer (the desktop mentioned above) had an almost identical configuration.

Yes, it was supposed to have been some sort of enhanced 386, with 80MB HDD. Gosh.

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I remember when my husband and I were dating. He bought me a 20MB hard drive for my PC. (I think it was a 486.) I was overwhelmed because he'd spent so much. It was well over $200. Of course I figured if he was willing to indulge my geek side, he was a keeper.

18. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Samsung's 1 TB 840 Evo debuted in late 2013 for about $700. This is actually a steal in retrospect.

Quite true. I recall spending around $55 for a 1 GB stick of Kingston in 2006.