Good grief. Are people just looking to be offended?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Gutwrench, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Boston Police apologizes for tweet honoring Red Auerbach during Black History Month

Boston wrong.

The Boston Police Department is apologizing after it posted a tweet honoring Red Auerbach, a white man, for Black History Month.

In the tweet, posted Sunday night, the police chose to give a shout-out to Auerbach for giving African-Americans opportunities in basketball.

"In honor of #BlackHistoryMonth we pay tribute to @celtics legend #RedAuerbach for being the 1st @nba coach to draft a black player in 1950, field an all African-American starting five in 1964 and hire the league's 1st African-American head coach (Bill Russell) in 1966," the tweet read.

When the tweet was posted, the department started to receive backlash.

Boston City Councilor Tito Jackson blasted the department on Twitter.

"Only in #Boston do the @bostonpolice honor Red Auerbach for #blackhistorymonth. So we already have the shortest month and now this," Jackson tweeted. "Please file this under Hell Nah aka Not Having it aka Not Ok. #bospoli #Boston #mapoli."

The police department eventually deleted the tweet and wrote a subsequent post acknowledging the career of Celtic great Bill Russell.

Boston police also apologized to anyone they may have offended.

BPD realizes that an earlier tweet may have offended some and we apologize for that. Our intentions were never to offend. It has been taken down.

— Boston Police Dept. (@bostonpolice) February 12,

2. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

You don't need to look too hard to complain about that post. Honoring a white guy for Black History Month is just incredibly stupid, and I don't see why you would have a problem with people finding it offensive.

3. Herdfan macrumors 6502

No matter what anyone says or does, it will offend someone. But back in the old days, they pretty much could only complain to their friends and associates.

But now with FB, Twitter and Instagram they can get a whole gaggle of other perpetually offended souls to jump on their bandwagon.

Shortest month? Really is that a legitimate complaint? For the record, BHM was started by a black man and originally only the 2nd week in February. Maybe everyone should jump his case for not picking a longer month. SMH.

4. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

Really? It’s Black History Month. What Red did was part of Black History was it not?

5. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Yeah....OK, so I guess I’m that guy then. Because I have absolutely no idea what the problem is here.

What exactly is offensive about paying tribute to a white guy who furthered the cause of black athletes during black history month?

6. 0007776 Suspended

It seems like he had a pretty big part to play in integrating basketball. Should we rewrite history to pretend that there were no whites on the side of civil rights and that it was all blacks standing by themselves against the evil whites?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2018 ---
    Because acknowledging that there where whites helping in the fight for civil rights hurts the narrative that all whites are evil.

7. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

If they had honored the African American players and coaches he hired and drafted, and Auerbach along with them, it would have been fine. But, honoring the white guy for giving them a chance, while virtually ignoring the fact that the players and coaches he helped deserved the opportunities he gave them, is just incredibly tone deaf. As I said in my first post, I find this more stupid than offensive, but I'm certainly not going to jump on anyone who finds it offensive.

8. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Black History Month was chosen for February because it coincided with the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln, both of which were celebrated by black communities (Lincoln was white, FYI).

The point being that BHM is about recognizing important people and events involved in black history and civil rights. It does not say that all people recognized must be black. The tweet could have been worded differently to also recognize the black people involved, rather than focusing only on a white man for giving black people opportunities (a simple "and" probably would've averted this "controversy").

So yeah, much ado about nothing. Both in the overreaction to the tweet (it's clear the police were trying; they're not "racist") and in the overreaction to the overreaction (it's not about "whites are evil"; it's about people seeing a tweet as tone-deaf).

9. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I mean, the tweet named the team with the first all-black starting five (1964 Celtics) and the first black coach (Bill Russell) by name. I guess they could have named the guy who was drafted in ‘50, and named all 5 starters on that ‘64 team, but it’s a tweet. It’s not like they erected an engraved monument or something.

It just comes across as nitpicking to me. Obviously Russell and those players deserved what they got, but they don’t get it without guys like Auerbach. Does the fact that he’s white really mean that his accomplishments can’t stand alone?

10. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Because it reinforces the white savior complex that continues to undermine African-Americans. Deciding to stop being an ******* so you can win more basketball games isn't more courageous than all the sacrifices that African-American leaders have made to advance civil rights.

11. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Like honoring the first slave owner to free a slave. ;)

I think they probably meant well but agreed, it was not very smart.

12. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

The reason this nonsense persists is because people have no balls and repeatedly cave under pressure by a handful of perpetually offended losers who spend 24hrs a day whining on social media. If I were in charge is tell them that we’re NOT sorry and that they need to grow a set. Oh, and offer them some warm milk, support animals and free counseling to help the victims recover from the chronic PTSD.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

You'd think the Boston police would be honouring the first black NBA player, not his coach. Doing that would not preclude mentioning the role that Auerbach had.

14. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

You know I'm finding it funny how upset people are getting about people getting upset... it's kind of a meta infinite loop of ire.

Mr. Auerbach does deserve some praise as he probably got some heat from a world obsessed with the colour of one's skin, and choose people for their talent. But it's an awfully low bar to hurdle rationally.

15. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

Do you see the irony in you being offended by this to the point of posting about it?

16. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

I can understand the connection, but during "Black History Month" maybe they would highlight a "Black" person?

That would be the equivalent of honoring the French on our 4th of July day. They helped us win independence, but on the 4th of July we celebrate America.

17. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

No.

18. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Uh?
    [​IMG]

19. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

One would think honoring white people the other 11 months a year would be enough.

20. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Maybe we could just honor everyone who has accomplished something for the good of the country regardless of what month it is.

21. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Except we know what happens when policy ignores race. People don't.

22. 0007776 Suspended

When have we ever had policy that ignores race in this country? Prior to the civil rights movement there were laws to try to keep minorities down. After the civil rights movement there has been affirmative action, and other policies aimed at treating people different because of what race they are.

23. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

:rolleyes: Come on. You're either purposely ignoring history to make a point or way too ignorant of racial issues in the U.S. to have a reasoned discussion. Try reading some basic history of racial bias in our country from an African-American perspective.

24. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I think the bigger question is when have we had a policy that doesn't favor white people by default.

25. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

(Clarification: LCK does not pull his d*** out in this video ...)