Good guy fires back and dies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aerok, Jan 10, 2015.

1. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I apologize for posting a Dailymail link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-robbery-female-gun-shop-called-s-Pistol.html

How stupid can you be to try to rob a gun shop?

2. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

well, I suppose they needed new guns to rob other stuff

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

4. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

Oh yeah, good observation :D

5. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Yes, if their sole intention was to rob the place of the cash on hand but hardly stupid if they were after the weapons, had they properly planned the robbery.

6. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

Still can't deny their stupidity especially since they now look at jail time for murder.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Then take a minute and find another source.

Here's a local news story ...

It's just another example how—even when armed—one can be out-manned and out-shot. The most interesting point of the story is that they'd rob a gun store specializing in self-defense.

Aren't these guys supposed to be targeting gun free zones?

8. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

I usually do but been multi-tasking all morning.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There's no excuse.

;) :D :)

10. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

:(:eek: I know

11. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Well, most thieves aren't necessarily what most would consider to be among the best and the brightest.

12. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

Not sure what you're trying to say, but... Mass shootings are different from robberies. Though keep in mind that they were a large group by armed robbery standards, 4 men deep. They realized they were not going in to confront an easy, unarmed target. That is different from senseless mass shootings where one lone gunman needs to ensure he will not be met with equal force. Holmes specifically went to the one theater in the area that banned carry, so yes they do seem to "research for GFZ's". You really think a crazed killer like Holmes or Lanza would take out his fury on a local gun store or gun show? My guess is the men in this story wanted to steal firearms, there is no other explanation for this act of stupendous stupidity. Keep in mind too that the store owners being armed prevented the suspects from acquiring even more guns.

Using one instance to try and blanket statement that allowing carry of firearms has no effect on criminals bringing in firearms to that same area is disingenuous. The actual stats, and criminal psychologists, will show that in the vast majority of times criminals will target "easy" victims. Whether they be women, concealed carry prohibited zones, or the like.

13. samiwas macrumors 65816

Or do they target areas of high population, most of which just happen to be gun-free zones (schools, malls, etc)? Someone who wants to go down in a blaze of glory isn't going to go hit a gas station or a Kinkos. Maybe you're right, maybe I'm right.

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Not sure about that,you'd have to know how many thefts took place then how many of them had people arrested for them.
    I would say the successful are not caught and would include large numbers of stock players,bankers,organised crime etc.

15. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

A 'womens' gun shop? How does that differ to a mens gun shop? Do they not show you how to hold it sideways?

16. sim667 macrumors 65816

The ironicism is strong with this one :cool:

----------

I think the comment is more about the idea that allowing gun carry deters violence..... In this instance it didn't.

17. samiwas macrumors 65816

I guess that's why convenience stores, the street, and homes are such low-level crime locations.

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yeah, I've never heard of this sort of thing, either. Almost as if they think women can't shop at the "men's gun shops." Sounds sexist to me. Where are all the feminists, and why aren't they up in arms (pun very much intended) about this?

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Overlooked is the fact police were not there to stop the crime at all , this guy managed to shoot back.

----------

Really? Link

----------

W/o the gun, you are nothing but a victim

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Who has the time? They're too busy emasculating and feminizing men. Obviously that takes precedence....

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The fact that the man shot at all may have been his death sentence. His wife was there and she only got punched in the face. Had he immediately thrown up his hands and said, "take what you want," there's a possibility they would have left without a shot. But he chose to shoot instead. How'd that work out for him?

22. jkcerda, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Plenty of businesses who cater to women, not sure why some think a gun shop would be any different.

you can wish you only get mugged/raped or you can fight back, choice is yours, w/o the gun you are mostly a victim
    [​IMG]

23. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

I understand desperation for food, and even money in some cases. But robbing a gun shop?Really?.... So stupid.... I just.... ahhhh!:mad:

24. samiwas macrumors 65816

Now, this begs the question...who shot first? If he pulled and shot, causing the other ones to shoot back at him, then he gave up his life for some product. The wife was not shot even though she was punched, indicating that these guys weren't out to kill. Really, there's no "good" outcome here. You can fight back, but fighting back may be what actually causes you to lose your life. Of course, this is your choice.

Link for what? Sarcasm?

http://www.crimedoctor.com/robbery1.htm

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10tbl23.xls

Code:
    Street/highway           129,605     43.2%
    Commercial house         39,705      13.2%
    Gas or service station   6,955        2.3%
    Convenience store        15,687       5.2%
    Residence                51,888      17.3%
    Bank                     6,536        2.2%
    Miscellaneous            49,898      16.6%
    I don't know about where you live, but around here, gas stations/convenience stores are not generally gun-free zones, homes are certainly not gun-free zones, and the streets aren't gun-free zones. Certainly a lot of robberies happening in those places.

Or, in this case, you could be an alive victim.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I am in CA.

THANKS for the link, but you seem to be ASSUMING the people would have lived through the ordeal. that is a big assumption, if I was to use YOUR level of speculation then the man managed to save the life of his wife. he didn't die for a product, he died defending his and his wife's life.

the red is the most important part.