Good guy in a 'bad mood' stops bad guy with a.. what?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Jun 19, 2014.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

In light of all of the gun threads here, I present this with a little bit of humour. Yes, this really happened, and I think the sentence the suspect was given is good, but I think lesson to learn here is..

don't p**s off the good guy in a bad mood trying to make ends meet.

With that, Enjoy.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/trending/feed/man-bad-mood-stops-would-be-robber

2. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

Gee I can definitely say I would not have reacted the same way, can never be sure if the gun aaas real

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Damn, a life sentence. He would have been better off using a real gun.

4. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Considering that they don't have the death penalty, he'd have come out just as well using a real gun and killing a few people.

5. zin Suspended

False. If he had a real gun and killed a few people he would've been given a whole life order (life imprisonment without any possibility of early release).

Life imprisonment usually comes with a minimum term. I'm sure he'll be out of prison in 10 years or so under supervision.

Either way I don't quite understand your point. I'm quite content with life imprisonment being the maximum criminal penalty here, and I certainly wouldn't consider that penalty a 'good' one so as to describe it as being "just as well".

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Ok, I'm totally pro-death penalty, but not because I believe it deters crime.... it doesn't. That's just a silly claim with no truth behind it. So if you're pro-death penalty, don't use that argument.

7. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Ah, so giving him a life sentence was just to make it sound good. It's really a ten year sentence?

I'm very much pro-death penalty, in limited use as it is in the USA. But if you give someone a life sentence without the possibility of parole what do they have to lose? Will escape attempts or further murders add another life sentence to their term?

8. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

If someone has life imprisonment then why murder them? Because the death penalty is just basically murder.

Speaking of, in the next WW games, if you get Hunter don't eliminate me first night;):p

kthxbai

9. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

If I put someone in prison just to execute them a year or two later, or let them languish for 60 years in that cell, haven't I effectively ended their "life" in both cases the day I interred them?

10. zin Suspended

Once again you have misrepresented what was posted.

The 10 year figure was simply a ballpark figure. In reality most prisoners (of the world, not just the UK) will be eligible for parole after serving a minimum term. If the parole is rejected then that person will remain imprisoned.

I certainly don't believe that this man did something that warrants being imprisoned for the rest of his life.

What penalty do you think should have been given? If you have no objections to the ability of this man to apply for parole after a certain number of years then what was the point of your original post?

11. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

But the point is that life sentence isn't really a life sentence. We have that here in the US, too. Truth in sentencing would be refreshing.

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Goes to show that the bankers are the power behind the power. Attempted bank robbery with a fake gun = life sentence. Murder = 20 years.:rolleyes: The Bank's money > a person life. At least society has it's priorities straight.:rolleyes:

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Exactly .... You even have some bank robbers that get life for handing the teller a threatening note.

14. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I'd be curious to see what rapists and pedophiles do for their crimes in comparison.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Coincidentally, this just came across my Twitter feed. Absolutely disgusting.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/...tm_campaign=Feed:+TheRawStory+(The+Raw+Story)

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Even if a life sentence allows for release in ten years, it is still different from a ten year sentence. Ten years means you are basically free and clear after ten years (apart from having to deal with the troublesome effects if having a record). Life means that even if you get out, you are still tied to the state until you die. At least once a month, you will have to show up at the parole office and face the possibility of going back in if the parole officer summarily decides you need to do more time. No trial, no hearing, just the judgement of that guy behind the desk.

Honestly, though, if we are going to keep people locked up for years at a stretch, we ought to make them hoe dirt and slice onions and just overall pay their freight. If nothing else, that would improve their self esteem, and maybe make them too tired at the end of the day to think about running.

17. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Yep so what's the point if killing them? lock them up for life.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No.

Do I really need to explain the difference?