Good Guy With A Gun!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by daflake, Jun 16, 2017.

1. daflake macrumors 6502a

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/16/us/georgia-inmates-manhunt-capture/index.html

So yes, sometimes a good guy with a gun does actually happen.

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Glad these two losers finally got caught, but it is unusual. In cases like this the cops always tell you, "These men are armed and dangerous. Do not attempt to capture them yourself."

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The homeowner didn't go out looking for them. They found him when attempting to steal his car.

5. statik13, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017

statik13 macrumors regular

Both guards dead. I'd say that the home owners got off very lucky as it easily could of been a different ending if the bad guys hadn't lost their weapons.

Glad those thugs are locked up again.

6. daflake thread starter macrumors 6502a

Or they could have ended up dead. I doubt the home owners went out not thinking they might be armed.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Flipping around an argument often heard from gun advocates ...

If they hadn't captured them with a gun, they'd have captured them with some other weapon.

8. statik13 macrumors regular

Absolutely. Could of wound up with the thugs dead, the homeowners dead or all parties dead. Either way, just glad the thugs are off the street.

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Such as?

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Article says the homeowner was inside his house. At that point the cops want you to call 911, not go out there and risk your own life.

11. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

should have shot both of them.

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Did you miss the part it's a rural area? Yeah. Let me wait 30 minutes for police to show up meanwhile (Speculation) my only source of transportation (Speculation) is stolen.:rolleyes:

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Often in gun debates, gun advocates will claim it didn't matter that a killer used a gun, because the killer would have just used some other method to kill if they didn't have a gun.

If that is true, then that same logic should apply here as well. The heros would have used some other method to capture the fugitives.

Either the gun is or isn't a significant factor in murders, suicides, and capturing bad guys.

Pick one side and stick to it.

Don't dismiss its significance when it doesn't agree with your point of view.

14. statik13 macrumors regular

Agree about the police time, but what kind of rural family has only 1 means of transportation? I grew up in the countryside. There was never a shortage of cars, trucks, tractors, motorbikes and quads at our place.

Question: Were the home owners negligent for leaving their families indoors (Speculation) and going after the baddies outside to try to save a car? To me, it seems more prudent to keep an eye on the situation from a safe distance and protect my loved ones.

15. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

You're right they could have held them at bay with a kitchen knife.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Your ignorance and bias is showing. A firearm is a tool. Alone a firearm is as innocuous as any other inanimate object. The deciding factor whether a firearm is good or bad is based on the person wielding it and their intentions.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So you will agree with me that firearms are a significant factor when it comes to murder, suicide, as well as self-protection?

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Even a two car family missing one could have devastating effects. There's a reason why horse thieves were hanged back in the old days. You steal a mans transportation you steal his livelihood and his ability to provide and care for his family. Anyway this is veering too far off topic. Glad someone was able to intervene and assist in recapturing the scum bags.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 16, 2017 ---
    No more than knives, hammers, alcohol, vehicles and a plethora of other instruments and tools.

19. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I am not american and I do not lean one way or the other when it comes to firearms regulations.

But let's not kid ourselves here. A hammer is a tool, it can also be a weapon. A wrench is a tool, it can also be a weapon.

What use other than a weapon does a firearm have? It's sole purpose is to kill/destroy is it not?

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

no, the person behind it is. case in point
    [​IMG]

if you don't get the joke .........
    --- Post Merged, Jun 16, 2017 ---
    over 300 million guns in the U.S.
    about 80 million gun owners out there.
    here is a 13 Y/O KID showing you what you can do besides "kill" :D

cop use their guns plenty of times and they don't "kill" every one they meet.

21. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I don't know what your video is trying to prove, except prove my point that you can only destroy things with a firearm

22. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It's a tool. You're missing the intentions and motivations of the individual behind the tool.

23. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

firearm

[fahyuh r-ahrm]
    See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
    noun
    a small arms weapon, as a rifle or pistol, from which a projectile is firedby gunpowder.​

Source: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/firearm

Definition of firearm
    : a weapon from which a shot is discharged by gunpowder —usually used of small arms​

Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/firearm

Nope, not defined as a tool.

24. daflake thread starter macrumors 6502a

They would have been gone by then and the property as well. Guess we should all huddle in our houses scared and let the criminals have the streets.

FYI, the police said they were brave and there was a reward for their capture. They took a risk and it paid off.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda